Python Strangles 2-Year-Old Central Florida Girl - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #81
wcreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
... An autopsy should show whether or not the bites were post/pre-mortem. I've actually been waiting for the autopsy, but havent seen or heard of the actual report...
The autopsy was performed by:
District 5 Medical Examiner's Office
809 Pine Street
Leesburg, FL 34748
http://www.medicusforensics.com/

I can't find an official report only articles like the one below. There's not much new information in the article.

The official report has got to be out there someplace I just can't find it.

Quote:
Autopsy results released in snake death
Child died of asphyxiation, report says
Updated: Thursday, 02 Jul 2009, 10:41 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 02 Jul 2009, 4:43 PM EDT

OXFORD, Fla. - Little Shaiunna Hare was just two years old. Wednesday when her mother's boyfriend, Charles Darnell, woke up he found his 8-foot-long, pet Burmese python wrapped around her tiny body.

He called 9-1-1, but it was already too late.

"The manner of death was asphyxiation, this poor child was strangled," explained Lt. Bobby Caruthers.

Thursday an autopsy confirmed the snake had killed Shaiunna. Investigators say Darnell told them the snake had already escaped earlier that day.

"Mr. Darnell had located it, put it in a bag, put it back in the same container, put the quilt back over it and tied it with some sort of string," added Caruthers.

Deputies also believe the snake may have been underfed, and looked at the child as prey.

"From the photographs I saw of the snake, it was hugely underfed so that might have been incentive to get out of the cage. It was very hungry," offered Bobby Rex of the exotic pet stores Scales in Brandon.

Rex says snakes like the one that killed Shaiunna require special permits and microchips.
Neither of which, according to officials, Darnell had. The incident is now stirring up a controversy over legislation meant to put tougher restrictions on the reptiles. Senator Bill Nelson introduced the bill and sent FOX 13 the following statement.

"This is truly a tragedy, and its why I'm renewing my call for Congress to act on legislation I filed earlier this year that would prevent pythons from being imported into the U.S.," according to Senator Bill Nelson.

State officials estimate tens of thousands of Burmese pythons are living in the wild in Florida.

Supporters of the bill argue pet owners are to blame for releasing the animals.

Rex says pet owners are not to blame and those that are educated and care for snakes properly should not be punished for those who don't.

"Just because he may not personally like snakes, there's those of us that do like snakes and make a living doing that," added Rex.

No matter their opinion on the legislation, both sides can agree on one thing, 2-year-old Shaiunna should never have died.

Deputies have not yet filed any charges in this incident.
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...e_death_070209

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!