Virus silences cricket farm in Leesburg - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #21
ace9916
I'v read and have tried to figure out how many eggs a female cricket could lay. but i have never found any real info on how much they really lay. I have read that it could be between 100-1000 big stretch I know, but its the closest I can get. I would say its more towards the hundred. if ten thousand was an actual number then breeding crickets wold be all to easy and they would be really really cheap. Can yo imagine all you would need is one or 2 females each month and youd have way to many to even feed your animals.

I would love to expand on my roaches but can't find any at the moment. Everyone is out of stock and mine are all still to young.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #22
Casey Hulse
Quote:
Crickets mate in late summer and lay their eggs in the fall. The eggs hatch in the spring and have been estimated to number as high as 2,000 per fertile female.[citation needed] Subspecies Acheta Domestica however lays eggs almost continually, with the females capable of laying at least twice a month. Female crickets have a long needlelike egg-laying organ called an ovipositor.
This is all I can find right now, 10,000 is a lot, I should have left off a zero most likely.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #23
WingedWolf
I think switching to black crickets or another Gryllus would be a very viable option. They aren't as prolific as A. domestica, but they also do get a little larger when fully grown, which means you could have another size category for them--better for larger animals like bearded dragons.

Gryllus assimilis (brown cricket) is probably a good candidate here in the US.

I can't imagine any of the large producers are going to want to go through life having to worry that a bird dropping will eliminate their entire stock.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
Casey Hulse
I have a feeling there are some ambitious entrepreneurial types that are going to get in the feeder "game". I hope they hurry....!!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:45 AM   #25
Magic Merlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse View Post
I have a feeling there are some ambitious entrepreneurial types that are going to get in the feeder "game". I hope they hurry....!!
HEY!!! I am standing right here. Hello!!!! Can you see me!!! Hello, I think my last post is kind of is pointing in that very direction. Like Rodney Dangerfield always used to say, "I don't get any respect."

Old 06-25-2010, 02:05 AM   #26
ace9916
Don't worry some of us read your post I slowing commented on how I would also like to expand my colonies.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #27
Casey Hulse
Quote:
I figure 50k producing females plus 50k red runners is a good start and 100k soldier grubs (aka: phoenix worms) per month will keep me busy.
Good luck!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #28
Greatballzofire
A few weeks ago I had a lapse in my acheta cricket production because I forgot to hold back any breeders, instead trading them off with my local pet store for rodent block, etc. But my experimental colony of gryllus black field crickets saved the day, providing plenty of crickets for my lizards and toads.

I now have plenty of acheta breeders doing their thing again, plus I have upped the production of the gryllus. I am not adding any new stock of the acheta from outside since learning of this cricket virus.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #29
Greatballzofire

Young male gryllus. The young females will have an ovipositor which gets longer as they mature.
Black crickets are easy to raise; just go out in the field on a warm spring day and catch a bunch of males and females and give them the same facilities as the acheta crickets. They will breed all year round if kept warm.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:44 AM   #30
ace9916
T is the life span of the black cricket.and can we get that Here iv never seen them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!