Man feeds kitten to burmese python in UK - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method919 View Post

I personally think there is no difference morally between feeding a rat and feeding a cat to a snake. Anyone who has worked with rats for even a short time knows that they are intelligent social creatures with emotions. It's interesting that people have granted dogs and cats so many rights, while we seem to have no problem at all with slaughtering other intelligent animals for food. It's pretty irrational.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
rcarichter
I can't begin to explain why, but many Americans (myself included) have a very visceral reaction to anything eating a cat. I love snakes, don't particularly like cats, and it still grosses me out.
I recall seeing a National Geographic special where they determined that live rodents (they used mice and rats) show no fear of being enclosed with a snake until the moment of their demise. I think a kitten would be afraid, and that would be cruel.

Noelle

Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #13
lauraleellbp
Anyone know if it's illegal to feed live animals in the UK? I know they've got some pretty strict husbandry laws over in some European countries.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
Slashmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
I can't begin to explain why, but many Americans (myself included) have a very visceral reaction to anything eating a cat. I love snakes, don't particularly like cats, and it still grosses me out.
I recall seeing a National Geographic special where they determined that live rodents (they used mice and rats) show no fear of being enclosed with a snake until the moment of their demise. I think a kitten would be afraid, and that would be cruel.

Noelle
I think this might be because dogs and cats are highly publicized as the main human companion animals and characterized as pets that love us. Rats and mice are characterized as vermin that are meant to be extinguished. The way culture influences our opinions of various animals shapes our opinions toward feeding them to other animals I think.

I'm watching Bill Flowers' video and thinking over the moral dilemma.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Mike Schultz
ball pythons don't eat laboratory rats in the wild either. better not feed them those, it's unnatural

Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
Wolfy-hound
I don't see how a kitten would somehow be afraid while a rat or mouse would not? Instinctively, a rodent would be the natural prey and MORE likely to fear a snake, so if a rodent does not fear a snake, why would you assume that a cat would automatically fear the snake?

And according to the description, the kitten was not fearful, it was playing and oblivious until the snake struck. Therefor it didn't fear, it simply was struck and killed the same as a rat or rabbit.

I think the video WILL hurt reptile keeping because people assume that a cat dying is somehow morally reprehensable, but killing a cow, goat or chicken is fine. Pets have a elevated status, because many of the public own a dog or cat and love it and live with it every day. Therefor they feel sympathy towards any dog or cat that is in peril, harmed or killed. They DON'T live with cows, chickens or goats normally and many of the public might never have seen a cow in person EVER, much less lived with one. No connection. Does it make it right to slaughter a cow but cry over a cat? No, in my opinion it does not. In my opinion, people should respect the fact that the cow they eat died to feed them.

I think feeding kittens or cats to snake is dangerous, for the snakes. A cat's mouth is full of needle-like teeth that puncture deep in a narrow wound channel that closes at the skin level and festers underneath. Plus a cat has a ton of bacteria that will cause festering as well.

So I would oppose snake owners publicly feeding dogs and cats to their snakes, especially live(due to the danger) in order to avoid bad publicity. But personally, an animal is an animal and should be dispatched as humanely as possible. Rats are intelligent social critters, but I feed them to my pythons. I make certain the snakes kill them quickly, or I step in and end the rat myself. My lousy feeding spyder can't kill a rodent easily every time so I pre-kill her rodents. Almost every feeding other than her, the rodent is unconscious/dead within seconds.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Anyone know if it's illegal to feed live animals in the UK? I know they've got some pretty strict husbandry laws over in some European countries.
Unless the person has a statement from a vet, indicating that it live prey is required, yes. (at least according to what I have read over the years) It might just be the purchasing of live prey as feeders that is prohibited, though...

Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 AM   #18
kidfixer
This is not a moral issue, its an common sense issue. There is a HUGE fucking difference between rats and cats. Cats are one of the most affectionate creatures in the world. They make excellent companion animals, and You DO NOT feed companion animals to ANYTHING.

Rats are responsible for the transmission of over 70 diseases. Their feeding habits are destructive and their nesting behaviors can compromise the structure of infested buildings. It was they (not cats) that carried the fleas that spread the bubonic plague in the 17th century. Rats are nasty creatures and deserve to end up as snake shit.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #19
JordanAng420
Ok, first this isn't "Hell" and you can't say that word here...you should probably edit before you get points, if you haven't gotten them already. Second, as far as destruction, eating habits, and transmitable diseases, cats win that one by a long shot!!! Think of all the Ferals that are literally taking over... So I do not agree with you.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #20
hhmoore
kidfixer - On the off chance that I am mistaken about you registering your name under a false name, you can send a copy of your ID to faunaIDchecker@yahoo.com.
If you would like to correct your name field entry, that step will still be required (if you used a false name once, there is no reason to believe that you won't do it again)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!