Boy Kills Giant Turtle - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:12 AM   #71
Dennis Hultman
To clarify my personal opinion-
I believe anyone has a right to disagree with hunting. I don’t fault Jim for his beliefs. I do have a problem with those who would impose that belief onto others. Extremism on both ends of the issue is what I disagree with. If you read that page you will see that they support interfering, taunting hunters. Hunting In my opinion, is a choice and should have regulations as it does.
As a teen, I went hunting often. I don’t have a desire to at this point in life. That doesn’t mean I should be able to take that ability away from anyone else.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:16 AM   #72
shrap
I have never been to my grandpa's place once and seen anything from a store other than sugar, flour, rice, spices and a few condiments. Oh and beer. EVERYTHING else comes straight off of what is left of his farm and the acres of woods he lives on. Hell the closest "general" store is about a 45 minute drive.

They have always "lived off the land". That is the only life he knows. 95% of the meat he eats comes from the land around him. Snakes, turtles, deer, rabbit, squirrel, duck, turkey, etc..... I can only remember two or three times I have ever had a meal at his place that was pig or cow. And I can assure you those did not come from the grocery store either.

Everyones lifestyles are different. That dont make them wrong or senseless. Just different. If you were to talk to my grandpa we would be asking why people eat all these foods that have chemicals in them and are genetically altered? To him that makes no sense.

I personally wonder what is better for you. Grocery store foods or the food he grows and the meat he hunts? He was born in 1923, has smoked and drank for more than 65 years but is still healthy and as active as any man in their 40's. Sure makes you wonder if all this grocery store food is what is best for us.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #73
kmurphy
Quote:
I believe anyone has a right to disagree with hunting. I don’t fault Jim for his beliefs. I do have a problem with those who would impose that belief onto others. Extremism on both ends of the issue is what I disagree with. If you read that page you will see that they support interfering, taunting hunters. Hunting In my opinion, is a choice and should have regulations as it does.
I agree Dennis. Good post.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #74
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
To clarify my personal opinion-
As a teen, I went hunting often. I don’t have a desire to at this point in life. That doesn’t mean I should be able to take that ability away from anyone else.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #75
ms_terese
Quote:
I personally wonder what is better for you. Grocery store foods or the food he grows and the meat he hunts?
My money is on the way your grandpa does it. Don't get me started on nutrition in this country...

Old 07-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #76
Griz
I concur with you Dennis. I have no problem with someone who is opposed to hunting. What I do have a problem with is people who oppose hunting for the wrong reason. For someone to tell me that I should not be able to hunt deer because that person enjoys seeing them. Yet, that same person believe it's fine to buy meat from a store (since those animals were raised for slaughter) or if that person is housing animals in small cages, then I get my ire up.

What really gets me going is when that same person makes comments to the effect that he values animal lives over that of humans. Check out this comment that he made ----> I hope the turtle was ok

He made similar comments in this very thread as well.

Griz

Old 07-03-2006, 12:33 PM   #77
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz
I concur with you Dennis. I have no problem with someone who is opposed to hunting. What I do have a problem with is people who oppose hunting for the wrong reason. For someone to tell me that I should not be able to hunt deer because that person enjoys seeing them. Yet, that same person believe it's fine to buy meat from a store (since those animals were raised for slaughter) or if that person is housing animals in small cages, then I get my ire up.

What really gets me going is when that same person makes comments to the effect that he values animal lives over that of humans. Check out this comment that he made ----> I hope the turtle was ok

He made similar comments in this very thread as well.

Griz
Some of you people act as those this should be over on the BOI, I can believe in what I want, right - or is that not allowed here on this forum? I don't like hunting - I don't hunt. Your going to hunt no matter what I think about it. I know people that hunt, some for meat and some for the "sport". I don't see the sport in it. Do I think less of them because they hunt – No. Do I force my beliefs on them - No. But in return they don’t brag about in front of me. They even have given me some meat to try, I tried it - and I didn’t find anything special about it. But don't try to discredit me because I believe or don't believe in something. I really don't care if you hunt or not, I would rather see them alive than dead. Just because you prefer them dead on your wall and in your freezer doesn’t mean I have to like them that way. My preference is alive. In a zoo or in the wild as long as I can enjoy them the way I want....ALIVE. My reasons are my reasons - who are you to say if their right or wrong.

When you shot an animal out of the wild, it’s not the same as someone buying meat from the store. But of course you don't believe me when I say anything anyway. You continue to call me a liar, you've called me stupid, you've been sarcastic, and I was wondering how long it would take you to bring in the spelling errors. All that has to do with what I think about hunting....how? In pretty much all the of the posts you have made you have been belligerent towards me. Is that the typical hunters mentality?

I didn't say ALL hunting was senseless, I have seen many times, deer parts on the side of a deserted road that were poached and most of the deer was still there...that’s senseless. Did I say ALL hunters do that...no I didn't.
I am not trying to cram what I think about hunting down anyone’s throat, you asked me so I told you ....if you don't like the answers - don't ask the questions. You need to stop pushing your beliefs on me.

If I had no other options, and if I absolutely had to - I would probably hunt too. I just prefer to work, and buy my food.

And again Griz you moron ...what does me keeping LIVE animals have to do with you killing animals? I keep snakes that are ALL captive bred and remain that way. You keep asking me to answer your questions, but fail answer mine.
But thats OK, you don't have to.
Maybe you should stop trying to find fault in what I believe in and get on w/ your life.

So ..I said I hope the turtle was OK....what’s your problem w/ that ?
I read the article and there was no mention of the turtle, it clearly stated everyone was OK.
Would I have stopped and done what that lady did...no
I see animals in the road all the time, but I will not cause a wreck to stop and save one. But I will save one if I can.
Hell, I have even run things over myself just so I didn’t cause a wreck. So where does you theory that I value animal life
over human life fit into that...or am I lying again. Why don’t you find something else to do.

Stop trying to discredit what I believe in, to justify what you do and believe.

I value ALL life.

I'll tell you what Griz...why don’t you stop by and chat with me after one of the reptile shows if you’re in the area.
I can express myself much better in person than on any forum or thru email.
This was a decent discussion until you came into it and started pushing your beliefs on me. And still, you don’t see me asking you to justify what you do.

By the way...if you find spelling errors blame on the spell check, I spell check before every post.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #78
Griz
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
Some of you people act as those this should be over on the BOI, I can believe in what I want, right - or is that not allowed here on this forum? I don't like hunting - I don't hunt. Your going to hunt no matter what I think about it. I know people that hunt, some for meat and some for the "sport". I don't see the sport in it. Do I think less of them because they hunt – No. Do I force my beliefs on them - No. But in return they don’t brag about in front of me. They even have given me some meat to try, I tried it - and I didn’t find anything special about it. But don't try to discredit me because I believe or don't believe in something. I really don't care if you hunt or not, I would rather see them alive than dead. Just because you prefer them dead on your wall and in your freezer doesn’t mean I have to like them that way. My preference is alive. In a zoo or in the wild as long as I can enjoy them the way I want....ALIVE. My reasons are my reasons - who are you to say if their right or wrong.
Jim, I think you are suffering from either a lapse in memory or you simply cannot put 2 + 2 together. Let me remind you of your post that started this all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homegrownherps
Yes ...same goes for the north too !

But when you go hunting isn't there more than the need of JUST ammo ?
A trip to the grocery store and head to the meat dept. seems some much easier

Oh wait I have heard about "the thrill of the hunt"
Track down defenseless animals - or just bait them and wait for them to walk up and then shoot them. sounds like a real challenge
You, not I, started attacking hunters. You made the first comment and showed your true colors. I have simply been baiting you to speak more so that YOU discredit yourself. You have done all of the work for me.

Quote:
When you shot an animal out of the wild, it’s not the same as someone buying meat from the store. But of course you don't believe me when I say anything anyway. You continue to call me a liar, you've called me stupid, you've been sarcastic, and I was wondering how long it would take you to bring in the spelling errors. All that has to do with what I think about hunting....how? In pretty much all the of the posts you have made you have been belligerent towards me. Is that the typical hunters mentality?
How is it different? Enlighten us, oh magnificent one. The only difference is that YOU are not the one pulling the trigger. I am at least man enough to get my own hands bloody instead of simply relying on the butcher. Then again, you have failed to grasp this point that has been spoken by several others on this board. Maybe your LEATHER chair is too comfy.........

Quote:
I didn't say ALL hunting was senseless, I have seen many times, deer parts on the side of a deserted road that were poached and most of the deer was still there...that’s senseless. Did I say ALL hunters do that...no I didn't.
You have yet to define senseless hunting. YOU DID MENTION THAT STATE LICENSE ALLIGATOR HUNTERS WERE POACHERS. Did you not? FYI, if you shoot something and leave it alongside the road, you are NOT a hunter. 100% of all hunters attempt to shoot cleanly and efficiently. They eat or provide the meat to others. That's right, 100% of them do this. If you don't, then you are NOT a hunter.
Quote:
I am not trying to cram what I think about hunting down anyone’s throat, you asked me so I told you ....if you don't like the answers - don't ask the questions. You need to stop pushing your beliefs on me.
Sure you are, otherwise you would not have tried to spew ignorance in the first few posts on this thread. You pushed your beliefs on others by attacking legitimate hunters. If you can't stand by your convictions (or in this case intelligently defend them) then keep them to yourself. I thought you said you were done with this thread?

Quote:
If I had no other options, and if I absolutely had to - I would probably hunt too. I just prefer to work, and buy my food.
No you wouldn't. In your PM to me you stated you don't eat meat so why in the world would you hunt? Was your PM just a lie? Here, let me remind you of what your PM stated:

Quote:
1) eat your steak - I dont eat steak
2) wear your leather coat - I dont own a leather coat
3) feed your animals pinkies - rodents are not "wild" animals shot for pleasure.
4) take animals from their natural environment for your own selfish collection......and again you acuse me of something I dont do.

stop trying to put me in the same class as yourself.

Quote:
And again Griz you moron ...what does me keeping LIVE animals have to do with you killing animals? I keep snakes that are ALL captive bred and remain that way. You keep asking me to answer your questions, but fail answer mine.
But thats OK, you don't have to.
Maybe you should stop trying to find fault in what I believe in and get on w/ your life.
Stop it, you're hurting my feelings. YOU STATED ONE OF THE REASONS WHY YOU HATED HUNTING WAS THAT YOU PREFER TO SEE THE ANIMALS IN THE WILD! Yet, you have animals that originated from the wild that you are keeping in very SUBPAR conditions compared to their natural environments. Yes, they are alive but they are living lives that are far less than ideal. I am sure the people of Central and South America would have prefered that you left those animals in THEIR wild so that THEY could enjoy them! There, I have now answered your question for the umpteenth time. Hypocrite...

Quote:
So ..I said I hope the turtle was OK....what’s your problem w/ that ?
I read the article and there was no mention of the turtle, it clearly stated everyone was OK.
Would I have stopped and done what that lady did...no
I see animals in the road all the time, but I will not cause a wreck to stop and save one. But I will save one if I can.
Hell, I have even run things over myself just so I didn’t cause a wreck. So where does you theory that I value animal life
over human life fit into that...or am I lying again. Why don’t you find something else to do.
You specifically mentioned that you wished the animals could shoot back. Implying that you wish the animals could kill the hunter. You also mentioned, on a thread that involved a multiple car accident, that you hoped the turtle made it out ok. Instead of making a post that I sure hope they catch the lady who did this, or I sure hope all of the people recuperated ok, you are worried about the turtle. Heck, with any luck, maybe that turtle was a huge snapper.......

Quote:
Stop trying to discredit what I believe in, to justify what you do and believe.

I value ALL life.
Again, you have done a fine job of that yourself. You've contradicted yourself on numerous occasions. Maybe you do value all life but you obviously place a hierarchy on those lives thereby placing animals above the hunter.

Quote:
I'll tell you what Griz...why don’t you stop by and chat with me after one of the reptile shows if you’re in the area.
I can express myself much better in person than on any forum or thru email.
This was a decent discussion until you came into it and started pushing your beliefs on me. And still, you don’t see me asking you to justify what you do.

By the way...if you find spelling errors blame on the spell check, I spell check before every post.
I will be more than happy to Jim. Just look for the 6'6" 280lb Hunter walking around. Although, I seriously doubt you can formulate a coherent conversation if you can't do so with a keyboard.

BTW, spell check does not correct simple elementary grammatical errors such as "your" when you should have use "you're" as an example. Or stating "when you shot an animal" when it should have been shoot. Both are spelled correctly but when used inappropriately become a misspelling all by itself.

So, what is "senseless hunting"? Hurry up, you can probably run to PETA's sight so that it does not involve you actually coming up with your own definition......

Griz

Old 07-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #79
homegrownherps
griz , you know what ..your an idiot.
why should I look for you in a crowd, I usually have a table or two, so just stop by.
And your height and weight don't mean a thing to me, and why is that relevant to this unless you plan to force your beliefs on me physically?

I sent you my number to call and invited to to stop and to talk in person, feel free to do so. Because I am sure people are tired of reading all this, I know I am tired of typing it.

you and no oneelse can tell me what to believe in. And because you don't agree what I believe doesn't make it wrong. I don't have to prove a thing to you or anyone else.

so save you rude arrogant remarks for some one else.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #80
homegrownherps
send me your number, and I'll call you since you dont have in you to call me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!