Bearded dragon health question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
HeartAche
Bearded dragon health question

My female beardie has a inflammed toe and it seems to be bothering her. What could I put on it to help her out a bit?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Tere Salazar
Inflamed how? Does it look like a stuck shed or did she cut it somehow? Did another beardie possibly nip it? Can you attach some pics? That would really help a lot.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
HeartAche
cant see it too well there but its a cam phone pic. dont think its stuck shed or a nip/cut..

Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Tere Salazar
That it kind of strange how it's only at the tip of that one toe. Do you keep her nails trimmed? I wonder if she injured her toenail somehow, and possibly that's what causing the swelling? Or is there any way she could have smashed that toe between rocks or tiles or something?

Also, you may want to check the underside of that toe and see if there's anything there. Maybe give her a bath and let her soak, scrub her toes gently with a soft toothbrush, and see if you can see anything.

If you can't find anything that could be causing the swelling, I'd definitely get her to a vet since you believe it's bothering her.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
HeartAche
I was thinking she may have smashed it between something. Her nails stay pretty trim because of the rock she basks on. I know its bothering her because she pulls her foot away when i touch that toe. Im gonna give her a bath and see if the vet i was checking out is even open today. I would rather have it checked just to be safe. Do you think i could use something like neosporin on it for the time being? or just leave it alone?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Tere Salazar
I'd just very gently get it as clean as you can, inspect it, and if you find anything, put some Neosporin on it. If you don't find anything, I don't think I'd put anything on it. If she just smashed it, there's really nothing to put on it, unfortunately.

Poor little darlin'. Hope you get it figured out soon. Is there a way to figure out what she may have smashed it in and affix it so that she can't do it again?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Gina Gauvin
What is your substrate? Do you keep her on sand, etc? They can sometimes get infections from their substrate or even their own feces if they walk thru it and there's a sratch it can get into.
I'd suggest soaking it daily, preferably in the morning so by night time he's totally dry. Keep him on papertowel to keep it clean. You could use a triple antibiotic on it, but if it's under the skin, it could be systematic and you'd need to see a vet for antibiotics. Just watch and see if it get's worse.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!