Info MiceDirect-FDA warns of Salmonella risk from frozen rodents fed to reptiles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
zim13
MiceDirect-FDA warns of Salmonella risk from frozen rodents fed to reptiles

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm221735.htm

I posted this in this forum because I think it has the most views. I apologize to the mods if they feel it's in the wrong place.Just wanted to get this info out.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
snowgyre
Shouldn't be in the BOI, but in the news section. MiceDirect has issued a voluntary recall, since they're one of the first small mammal producers to work directly with the FDA. Of COURSE there's going to be salmonella in rodents, so no big surprise. I hear MiceDirect is now irradiating all rodents prior to sales.

MiceDirect is an excellent provider of rodents, so don't let this voluntary recall scare you away from their products. Common sense prevails... wash your hands after you handle dead things!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
hhmoore
Well, the reason for posting it here is wrong, but arguments could certainly be made that the BOI is an appropriate place for it....so I'll leave it.

From my perspective, as a customer of Mice Direct, their actions in this situation have done nothing but solidify my opinion of them. They took the initiative and issued a voluntary recall, including the replacement of unused product...AND they have responded with a proactive plan for resolving the issue.
For years, when I did educational presentations, I was asked about Salmonella in reptiles - and my response was typically some form of the statement that any caged animal was susceptible. Think about the process of keeping and breeding colonies of rodents, and it would certainly seem a no brainer that Salmonella could be found.
I, for one, will still be purchasing my rodents from Mice Direct. Keep up the good work, guys.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
brd7666
I agree that this does not belong here. They were the first to be attacked, and I think they handled it very well. I'm sure more rodent breeders will have to go through the same thing. It's a sign of the times. They did nothing wrong, and I would bet that all the rodents recalled were just fine. This industry is being attacked from animal rights groups, and who knows who else. This is just another way to go after this industry. Frozen rodents have gone under the radar for years, and the FDA is now going to have their two cents in how it gets run. Sad thing is, expect to see a price increase in frozen rodents.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
Here's how to handle it...

1) Wash your hands after you handle the rodents as you should with any raw meat
2) Don't lick your frozen rodents

Problem solved!

Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Well, the reason for posting it here is wrong, but arguments could certainly be made that the BOI is an appropriate place for it....so I'll leave it.

From my perspective, as a customer of Mice Direct, their actions in this situation have done nothing but solidify my opinion of them. They took the initiative and issued a voluntary recall, including the replacement of unused product...AND they have responded with a proactive plan for resolving the issue.
For years, when I did educational presentations, I was asked about Salmonella in reptiles - and my response was typically some form of the statement that any caged animal was susceptible. Think about the process of keeping and breeding colonies of rodents, and it would certainly seem a no brainer that Salmonella could be found.
I, for one, will still be purchasing my rodents from Mice Direct. Keep up the good work, guys.

Could not have said it better Harold

Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
joseydiann
Yeah I agree, I'll always buy from them. And I appreciate them trying to make it right. I have about 500 frozen left, I took the pics as they ask ect.. I'm glad they are fixing the issue!

And yes (Don't lick your frozen rodents) would be the best way to go!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Wolfy-hound
*Stops licking rodent mid-lick*

Huh? What? Dang it. But they make the BEST popsicles.. they have a built in handle!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Ameivaboy
Hopefully more people don't start licking toads instead

Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
theGuardian
I guess my "new freezer" for Shows is bad idea, then....

Bummer, I thought it was gonna be great attention getter!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!