Leucistic/ Snow Whites.. Smaller in Size? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
jbell
Leucistic/ Snow Whites.. Smaller in Size?

hello. bearded dragon hobbyist for some years. recently renewed my interest with a leucistic line purchase. I have owned 2 beardies (one snow, and one leucistic)from separate, well regarded breeders (i presume).
both were incredible "runts". healthy, but notably small. Coincidence, or general trend? thanks for insights.
jonathan

Old 12-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
packiller32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell View Post
hello. bearded dragon hobbyist for some years. recently renewed my interest with a leucistic line purchase. I have owned 2 beardies (one snow, and one leucistic)from separate, well regarded breeders (i presume).
both were incredible "runts". healthy, but notably small. Coincidence, or general trend? thanks for insights.
jonathan
hi jbell, may i see your two dragons photo~
Thanks

Old 12-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
DragonVenom999
Georgia Bearded Dragons had the nicest leucisitic dragons Ive come across. Big and hearty Fire and Ice dragons had some nice ones also.

400+ gram female leucisitic

the mutation is not full of runts no

Old 12-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
dragonluver83
True leucistic's that use to be found 3-4 years ago, before the term "Marketed Leucistic was coined ( I think by the Dachiu's) because the gene was crossed out so much it was not a true leucistic gene.
From what I remember The leucistic gene was a hearty, larger, and longer dragon. They would weigh somewhere in the 5 600 gram range and quite lengthy at 27 inches. ( i had one 4 years ago, he was a big boy. an so was most of the offspring. The ones i could still locate at that time.)
At this time I do not a have true leucistic, I doubt that many do. I have a couple of "Marketed leucistics" one is a double het leatherback and the other is one I produced. See pics. thanks, Tom

Pic one is a female that i produced 7-8 months ago?

and pic two is of the dad. "marketed leucy leatherback double het"
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
jbell
thank you for the responses.
my female looks very similar to your 8 month old female in size and color.Mine,
supposedly is 2 years old(??)
regardless, i am in it only for pleasure, not for breeding and she seems healthy and interacting appropriately.
Interestingly, you answered another question, as over the years i did not understand the terminology "marketed leucistic".
jonathan

Old 12-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
chris allen
There were some good debates/discussion on kingsnake back maybe 7-8 years ago. You may be able to find these in their archives? As far as I know there has never been a true leucistic. The marketed leucy is just a line of hypo . If you cross a "leucy" to a hypo you should theoretically get all double hets....when in reality you just get all hypos.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
jbell
is it true that "snow whites" are a different term for the same hypopigmented line as the leucistics?

Old 12-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
chris allen
Its funny how things change. I had what was called a snow a long time ago. It was just as white if not whiter than what you see here. But it did not have clear nails.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris allen View Post
There were some good debates/discussion on kingsnake back maybe 7-8 years ago. You may be able to find these in their archives? As far as I know there has never been a true leucistic. The marketed leucy is just a line of hypo . If you cross a "leucy" to a hypo you should theoretically get all double hets....when in reality you just get all hypos.
My " Leucy " male that I had was not a hypo, was not even het for hypo. He was white to slate grey in color and had a small amount of yellow around his eyes. Good point with the "never a true leucistic" as it was lacking a few traits to make that call. But crossing leucy's to hypos only added color to that genetic trait. And furthered them from the "leucistic gene". If you look at the first pic of the juvie female i produced she has small light blue side bars and the yellow tint to the head and neck area. That is the hypo gene showing. Does it everytime. Sometimes there not even as light as her. Most of them are more colorful. Did anyone see Kevin Dunne post on k.s.? It was a classified about leucistics a while back on kingsnake. The title stated " look at the color on these leucistic". But what kind of sense did that make? Leucistic's dont have color. You dont find leucistic's anymore, and most marketed leucy's, dont even look white/leucistic.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
chris allen
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonluver83 View Post
You dont find leucistic's anymore, and most marketed leucy's, dont even look white/leucistic.
Thats just it....there never were any leucistics. The marketed leucistics were and still are the "leucistics". If there ever was, it wouldn't have changed in color.....thats why I suggested the crossing of the hypo and a leucy. If they were different, the colors never would have changed....a leucy is a leucy is a leucy, lol. Its not like they would have become extinct...unless there was only one of them and it was lost or every person that had one never bred them. I think a true leucy bearded would be cool, but have yet to see one.

Post a pic of your "leucy" you had, id like to see. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of that snow girl I used to have...think I may have had two of them, one was called a hypo snow, the other was some kind of snow cross. I have the pics on cd's for sure, but which cd is the question....I probably have 20-30 cds of pictures from over the years and not all of them are marked.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!