Lizards in PA - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
tandy4000
Lizards in PA

I know its a little early to go herping in PA, but I figured I'd start getting ready.
So, does anyone have any tips on catching skinks around pittsburgh? I've been looking for about a year now and I cant find any. I also need a tip or two on finding fence lizards.
Last thing- are there any traps on the market that can catch snakes without harming them?

thanks

Old 02-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
sppeavy
Hey there, I dont know your area very well, but I here there is a subspecies of Lacertid there. Im in Topeka, KS at the moment , and we have two subspecies around here. Supposedly Topeka and Pittsburg are the only areas for these species. I have Italian Wall lizards, and Green Lacertas here. I usually can find the wall lizards in residential areas. They have adapted to life in mulch beds. I would think it would be the same in your area. I usually look around churches and schoolyards when nobody is around of course. Skinks, you will most likely find flipping over logs and stones. Ask around about the wall lizards though, I have seen them out sunbathing here when the temps are only in the 60s. Hope I helped at all. Later

Old 02-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
tandy4000
Thanks for the advice,
I've tried what you said with the lizards in mulch beds, but I just cant seem to find them.
Skinks-do you know of any specific habitats (wetlands, dry forests, edges of meadows)?
thanks again

Old 02-28-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
krloucks
wall lizards

Italian wall lizards were found in Cincinatti and Philadelphia. The Philly population hasn't been seen in years, the Ohio population is still there.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:06 AM   #5
sppeavy
Italian Wall Lizards

We have them all over the place here. They were a Washburn University study that got let free back in the 50s. Since then, they have thrived and are all over. They are not native, and they make awesome pets. They are very active and eat right from your hand. I was chasing a yound one last fall, and in mid chase, it stopped to catch and eat a cricket. If any of you want a few as pets, let me know. Ill just ask you pay for shipping. The population is through the roof here, on any given day, I can find 50 or so. I cant usually catch that many, but its fun to try.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!