? on adenovirus... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
skier1
? on adenovirus...

Well i have had my beardies for two years. and so i decided to breed them. and i did research breeding and i can got everything ready .. but i never did hear of adenovirus and what it affected until after i bred them.

so i can get the eggs at the earliest of next week. and so im going to call a vet tommorow.. and see if i can get them tested for it. and i feel so stupid!!!!
but i wanted to know what i will have to do to get them tested like.. do they test it from a fecal sample or do i have to bring them into the vet? and how much does it cost per beardie?
other than not tested for that... they are healthy. They eat their greens, crickets.. i dust all their food w/ calcium powder. They are alert, proper age. and they are good sized.

help would be great!!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
skier1
please reply!?

Old 08-08-2007, 03:53 AM   #3
Dennis Hultman
If you use the search function you will find many threads on the topic.

I did a quick search for you and found this post.

Quote:
The contact information for testing is as follows:
Lou Ann Miller, MT(ASCP)
Service Supervisor
Center for Microscopic Imaging
College of Veterinary Medicine
Rm 1204 VMBSB
2001 S Lincoln Ave
Urbana, IL 61802

Ph#: 217-244-1567
Email: lamiller@uiuc.edu
Many threads. Here's a few.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=98102
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=94409
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=97457
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=98117
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=89666

Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
skier1
k thanks!
i read some of those and people were talking about samples so i think that it is a fecal sample that they were talking about. so im going to read more of those articles.
but i was kinda wandering.. like do i have to bring them to the vet. or just the samples.and how much is it per beardie? and does the sample have to be like " new " .. sry for asking so many questions.
i dont want to be on the phone and asking them like 100's of questions.. lol. so if someone could clear that up that would be good. but im going to try to get them to the vet asap.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

When you send off for the testing kit from Lou Ann from the address provided, you send her the fecal which will be put into the fixative by you at home, then sent off to her.
Then, she will contact you with the results. The vet has nothing to do with the fecal exam through the Electron Microscopy testing, that is all done at the University of Illinois. If I am right, the test is still under $40 dollars. I do now know if there is a charge for the testing kits yet or not. Lou Ann is very helpful so she can answer any questions for you better than your vet can, honestly.
There is another type of testing the PCR which is done through your vet, since it is a cloacal swab & DNA test, then, it is sent to the University of Florida.
I am very pleased to hear though, that you are doing the testing now. You are doing the right thing, & I am happy to hear it! Good luck. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Tracie

Old 08-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Also, you have to do blood testing as well, because... from what i understand the fecal is not always Guaranteed to be accurate. The tests are expensive, BUT if you get them done, i think it would be a great thing to see them posted here on fauna ( if you are comfortable with it)

If they are negative, it would really stand up for you and your dragons in the future ^_- But being positive does not mean you should hide them either, and it could be a start to help EVERYONE start producing healthy beardies free of Adeno in the future.

Its great to see people researching and willing to keep learning, and truly you are doing the very best for your dragons. I just hope your tests come up negative! Good luck, let us know how it turns out for you!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
skier1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache613
Hello,

When you send off for the testing kit from Lou Ann from the address provided, you send her the fecal which will be put into the fixative by you at home, then sent off to her.
Then, she will contact you with the results. The vet has nothing to do with the fecal exam through the Electron Microscopy testing, that is all done at the University of Illinois. If I am right, the test is still under $40 dollars. I do now know if there is a charge for the testing kits yet or not. Lou Ann is very helpful so she can answer any questions for you better than your vet can, honestly.
There is another type of testing the PCR which is done through your vet, since it is a cloacal swab & DNA test, then, it is sent to the University of Florida.
I am very pleased to hear though, that you are doing the testing now. You are doing the right thing, & I am happy to hear it! Good luck. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Tracie

so you contact her and she will send you something to put the sample in? and then you send it back to her. im confused on that.? and these test are 40$, right?

someone told me that the blood tests are like 175$ or so.. i dont have that and i dont think my dad would want to pay that much for both.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
skier1
well if you could really explain on how to get them tested that would help b/c im really confused right now, and have no clue on how this works... and i talked to my mom and she said she didnt want to do all this stuff.. and i know my dad wouldnt either.. so i dont know what to do right now.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #9
Drache613
Very easy

Hello,

Oh don't worry, it is very easy!! Just contact Lou Ann Miller via email or by phone. Request 2 test kits, one for each dragon. Collect a fecal sample from each one of them, & properly label which is which, of course, & follow the directions on how to put the fecal sample into the fixative. Then, just mail the samples to Lou Ann. That is all it takes, then, you are finished.
Lou Ann will contact you with the results within 1-3 days depending on her caseloads & samples she has for the week.

Tracie

Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Drache613
Forgot

Hello,

I forgot to add that the fecal tests are cheap, probably less than $40 per test or per sample that is. The fecal test is fine, so there is no need for you to do the other test, the PCR or DNA test at this time.
Just ask if you have anymore questions.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!