Vet Visits - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
Skunky
Vet Visits

When, and how often should you take your *healthy* ball to the vet?

I've just about got my cage set up now, and buying my snake this weekend, and wondering if I should take it to the vet? It's a baby CBB Ball, not sure if they typically have worms/mites etc when they're young? (4-5 months)

Old 01-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
Whitewater Reptiles
I only take to a Vet. when needed. With your first snake you could take to a Vet. and get an exam just for piece of mind. The Vet. could give it a good looking over and maybe perform a fecal exam to check for worms / parasites.
Good luck with your purchase and I hope everything goes good. Ball Pythons are amazing little beasts and I hope you enjoy yours
Mike Derks

Old 01-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
Skunky
Thanks Mike, I'm sure it'll be fine..buying for a reputable dealer..so hopefully that'll minimize the risk. In the off event, what should I be on the lookout for? I know stargazing and mites..what else? Any outward indication of worms or endoparasites?
Any idea how much a typical vet checkup can cost?

Old 01-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
shrap
For me personally I quarantine all new incoming reptiles for 90 days and take the first poop they give me to the vet for a fecal test.

As far as my existing reptiles, they all get fecals done once a year unless otherwise needed. I only take my reptiles themselves to the vet if they are showing signs of a health issue of some kind.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
Skunky
Any idea on cost for a poop check?

Old 01-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
shrap
Office visits (when you actually take an animal in to be seen) can really vary from vet to vet. Same with fecals.

For me personally my vet charges me $50 for an office visit and $10 for a fecal. She requires that I do 1 office visit a year on at least one of my animals, but will do as many fecals as I want. I do NOT have to take the animal in for a office visit just to get a fecal done. Fresh poop is all that is required.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
bbbxcursion
I go once a year with a fecal also

Old 01-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
Skunky
So if you go to a vet for the first time, you can request a fecal only..or would the first visit usually require me taking my snake in?

Old 01-16-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
Skunky
(Sorry, request a fecal as in just take a stool sample)

Old 01-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #10
shrap
Most vets will require an "office visit" the first time around. Which means taking your snake in. After that though they will do fecals for you without an "office visit".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!