What is this species of spider that keeps getting shipped along with my crickets? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
Sushi Dragons
What is this species of spider that keeps getting shipped along with my crickets?

Started ordering crickets from a new company, I get at least one of these guys with every shipment. I have no idea what they are- any entomologists out there?
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Snake-Queen
Eek... I just got the heebie jeebies.

Spiders are not my favorite.

What local are the crickets coming from? That may help narrow it down for someone.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Snake-Queen
Uh ... it looks like a brown recluse ...

Check out the pic here : http://hobotraps.com/about.php you will have to scroll past the hobo spiders.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
snowgyre
It's definitely not a brown recluse, thankfully. There is no fiddlehead on that thorax. Other than that though, I couldn't tell you what species of spider it is.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
hhmoore
Nope, not a brown recluse.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Shadera
http://www.spiders.us/articles/identification/

There's a decent guide for starting an identification on a spider. They can be kind of tricky beyond Genus, though.

I'm fairly confident it's a running crab spider (Philodromidae). Specifically a Thanatus vulgaris.

Seems it's a fairly common hitchhiker with cricket orders.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
angie.h
I think Shadera is correct. I've gotten those, too, and they are fast movers ! By the way, how do you post pics on here, I have pics of bugs hatching on a leaf in my yard, I'd like to identify. I have a suspicion of what they are, just want to see if an expert can confirm but I don't see the usual " manage attachmants " option when I reply like on the Bearded forum.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Snake-Queen
I said I think.

I don't like spiders, especially if they are big. Big =dead.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
jrmrbcax
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
I think Shadera is correct. I've gotten those, too, and they are fast movers ! By the way, how do you post pics on here, I have pics of bugs hatching on a leaf in my yard, I'd like to identify. I have a suspicion of what they are, just want to see if an expert can confirm but I don't see the usual " manage attachmants " option when I reply like on the Bearded forum.
Upload your pictures to tinypic.com and paste the [IMG] code here.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
By the way, how do you post pics on here, I have pics of bugs hatching on a leaf in my yard, I'd like to identify. I have a suspicion of what they are, just want to see if an expert can confirm but I don't see the usual " manage attachmants " option when I reply like on the Bearded forum.
The Manage Attachments option is there if you use the Post Reply button. If you use the Quick Reply box, you will have to click on Go Advanced in order to access that function.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!