MVB trouble? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
quasireptile
MVB trouble?

I came across this and I was curious to see what you guys think about it. It talks about mercury vapor bulbs and how they might not be that safe. But I've never come across anyone saying anything negative about them so I don't know what this is based upon. Its under ""Full-Spectrum" Hype"

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=4&SourceID=58

Problems with Mercury Vapor Heat/Light/UV Products
There are mercury vapor and metal halide lights that produce both heat and UVB. Unfortunately, they may be dangerous to your reptile. They put out very high levels of ultraviolet wavelengths requiring them to be turned off when you are near them and/or needing to limit their time in use with the reptile. It is safer, though more cumbersome, to use a heat source and a separate UV fluorescent tube if you cannot assure your UVB-dependent reptile access to sufficient sunlight on a regular basis.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Big Papa Dilly
From what I've heard (not sure how realiable, but again, it's what I've heard) the MVB's can basically "cook" the retina of a BD. Think of it like you or me keeping our eyes wide open while spending the day in a tanning bed.

Personally, I supplement with D3 and skip the UVB bulb altogether. The D3 supplement, along with occasional trips outside (weather permitting) seem to do the trick just fine.

But hey -- what do I know?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
rosebud945
You have to respect the distance recommendations that are made by the manufacturer, and some MVBs are putting out either too much or too little UVB. But not all MVBs are alike. There are good ones and bad ones just as there are good and bad florescent bulbs, and some other really bad uvb bulbs.

The recommended distance that you should keep your basking spot away from the bulb is 19 inches if you use a Megaray. If you let your lizard sit 5 inches from the bulb, yes, it will cause problems for the lizard. If you use a tight beam bulb like a Megaray or a T Rex, then you are not in danger of exposure unless you hang out in your lizard viv.

I have been keeping lizards under Megarays and T Rex Active UV MVB bulbs for a few years now, and I'm not green or riddled with cancer, my lizards are disgustingly healthy, and none of us are blind. In fact, the only blind lizard that I have was kept under a COIL florescent before she came to me as a rehab. I have some of the heathiest lizards you'll find in captivity. GOOD MVBs used correctly produce better UVB than the best florescent for 3 times as long, and will not harm you or your reptiles, IMO. Here is where I get mine and there is good reading n the subject here as well.
www.reptileuv.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!