just got my first bearded dragon! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
candykidd
I know you put him on a light, but I didn't read what specific one it was. You said it was the same light as you use for your newt and your leo?? If its the same as your newt, its not enough. Let me know though.
As for the eye, it just looks shut, not really damaged. Maybe I just was unable to see the picture clearly. Try some of those drops they recommend . Turtle drops, I forget the name though. They work wonders I've heard to alleviate eye problems.
As for the walnut shells, I dont think they were the issue here. I've had my beardie and some of my african fat tails on zilla ground walnut shells for example for almost 2 years. And they work just fine. It also depends how old your beardie is, but he/she doesn't look like a baby though. So I don't think substrate is anything to panic about with the beardie.
When it comes to the shedding problems, just give him/her warm baths every other day or so. Maybe a few times a week to help get things sped up. Seeing as how your little fellow has been under extremely stressful circumstances. Good luck to you and him/her.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
missinasworld
Im not to concerned about his bedding now. it is just when I got him it was sticking to him and he was very dry and dehydrated.
The lght is a spectra max 6500k full spectrum super daylight lamp-it was for growing plants in the fish/newt tank. the other light is a reptile heat light bulb but its to hot to cheak what type-it was purchased from LLLreptile.com but i use all belly heat for my leos so it was sitting collecting dust since I got it.
the photo of his eye does not show it very well but there is a cut in the middle of it but its old-his former owners refuse to say anything about it-because they told me before I askd about his eye that they use to let him run around on the patio with the cat I have a pretty good idea of how his eye was injured. he can only see colors and light/darkness I think, and it looks like a pretty old and healed up injury. so i dont think drops would help. now that he is rehydrated and in his new cage it does look better and he leaves it open most of the time.
Im not to worried about him now. he is doing pretty well eating his veggies, his crickets, super worms and spending time out in the FL sun light in a ferret pen and then hanging inside with me or in his cage

Missina

Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
redcircle_os
Wow he must have been in terrible conditions before then. As for the belly heat, to me its like a heat rock; I don't fully trust it. I prefer hear from above as well. Its great he's doing much better though. And you live in FL so thats great.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #14
redcircle_os
Quote:
Originally Posted by candykidd View Post
I know you put him on a light, but I didn't read what specific one it was. You said it was the same light as you use for your newt and your leo?? If its the same as your newt, its not enough. Let me know though.
As for the eye, it just looks shut, not really damaged. Maybe I just was unable to see the picture clearly. Try some of those drops they recommend . Turtle drops, I forget the name though. They work wonders I've heard to alleviate eye problems.
As for the walnut shells, I dont think they were the issue here. I've had my beardie and some of my african fat tails on zilla ground walnut shells for example for almost 2 years. And they work just fine. It also depends how old your beardie is, but he/she doesn't look like a baby though. So I don't think substrate is anything to panic about with the beardie.
When it comes to the shedding problems, just give him/her warm baths every other day or so. Maybe a few times a week to help get things sped up. Seeing as how your little fellow has been under extremely stressful circumstances. Good luck to you and him/her.
Are those the ones that I just saw called "desert blend"? I've been using them (the shells before desert blend) for my beardie mainly for a long time. I never thought about it for fat tails. Im going to tell my friend.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!