Professionalism? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #41
Walk of Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Use of an anonymous proxy server is more a method of hiding your true self than a method of security. It is also a common tool of spammers and trolls.
Jim O,
Here's an interesting read for you:
http://www.article-tips.com/technolo...ity-with-a/858

Technology article: Online Security with a Proxy Server

One of the biggest problems of the internet nowadays is security. Viruses, spyware, spam, trojan horses, malware, adware and of course hacking are the main problems. The largest part of all internet users are unaware of most of these things and will never know their passwords and credit card info might become visible for others. Nothing can give you 100% security, but applying a few easy things will improve online security greatly. Here are some things everyone should do:

Install a virus scanner and firewall

A good virus scanner and firewall are an obligation these days. Do not trust the firewall of your ISP, modem and especially not Microsoft's firewall. Virus scanners are never already installed on a modem or something, so you have to install one yourself. There are countless virus scanners and firewalls available, but the best ones are McAfee, Norton, AVG and ZoneAlarm. The last two have a great advantage over the first two because they are totally free. I recommend using AVG's virus scanner and ZoneAlarm's firewall.

Use a proxy

A proxy server is a server that is meant to hide someone's IP. Your IP (Internet Protocol) is a number that is unique for every computer and it is static so you cannot change it when you messed things up. If a hacker finds out your IP he or she can get all your info if you are unlucky. This means that it is very important to hide this number. A proxy works like this: normally when you click on a link or a button, the browser sends the info to the web server. With a proxy the info will be sent to the proxy server first, and then to the web server. If the web server retrieves your IP, it will retrieve the IP of the proxy server, not yours. This also works from the web server to your computer. A counterpart of these proxies is that the owner of the proxy server can see all data (including passwords and credit card info for example), so install a proxy of someone you trust.

How to set up a Proxy

It is easy to set up a proxy, but follow the following steps very accurate, because a little fault can resolve into an unsafe proxy, or an error.

Step one: finding a good, anonymous proxy

The first thing you need to do is to find a good proxy. There are free and paid proxies scattered all over the net. Paid proxies are better most of the time (more anonymity), but there are good free ones also. Search for the best and most anonymous proxy that's out there. To help you a little, here is a list of free proxies. This list is updated every day. Transparent proxies are unsafe, don't use them. The best proxies are the ones with high anonymity. Choose one that you like.

Step two: install the proxy

After you found your proxy, write the IP and the port of the proxy on a piece of paper. The process of installing a proxy varies from browser to browser, so I will explain the installation process for Internet Explorer only. After you have opened Internet Explorer, go to Internet Options and then click on the Connections tab. Select the LAN Settings button if you have a LAN or DSL connection, or if you have a dial-up connection, choose your connection and click the Settings button. From there, enable use a proxy server and type the proxy IP and port in the address and port fields. Click OK twice and you're done.

Step three: monitor the proxy

This step is often forgotten by a lot of people. Proxies, especially free ones, tend to disappear, quit working or become transparent. Of course you don't want this to happen, so check your proxy every now and then (I recommend to check at least every month) to be sure you will stay anonymous.

About the author of Online Security with a Proxy Server
The author is the owner of the FezV.com Anonymous Proxy Site

Mike Gamine

Old 12-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #42
Walk of Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
There will be an endless line of people like you, who are not satisfied and think that they not only know better but that their better way should be forced on the rest of us. It's been happening for a long time and I see no end to it.
Wes,
Where exactly did I state that anything should be forced upon anyone?
I stated MY OPINION about some behavior here, nothing more.

Did I start a petition to have anything changed? No.

From a simple observation and post regarding what I FEEL (ME) is an issue involving the integrity of this site, several members, yourself included, have taken this as a call to arms for a Fauna witch hunt.

I guess scam busting must be a little slow for some of you right now.

Have a great time.
I have answered every question and concern and see no point in continuing this foolishness. It is counter-productive.

Knock yourself out guys.

Mike Gamine

Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #43
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk of Life
Wes,
Where exactly did I state that anything should be forced upon anyone?
I stated MY OPINION about some behavior here, nothing more.

Did I start a petition to have anything changed? No.

From a simple observation and post regarding what I FEEL (ME) is an issue involving the integrity of this site, several members, yourself included, have taken this as a call to arms for a Fauna witch hunt.

I guess scam busting must be a little slow for some of you right now.

Have a great time.
I have answered every question and concern and see no point in continuing this foolishness. It is counter-productive.

Knock yourself out guys.

Mike Gamine
Thank YOU eversomuch for your much needed permission to act in a manner I feel appropriate and comfortable with.

I was SO worried that you may not understand.

AHAHAhahaHHAHAHAHAhahaHAHAHAHAHahahHAHHAHAHahahaHA HAhah

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out, it closes quick on those tucked tails.

Damn smart door now that I think on it.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #44
Jim O
Quote:
A counterpart of these proxies is that the owner of the proxy server can see all data (including passwords and credit card info for example)
Exactly why proxy servers are not really very good security measures (as I said). They are meant to keep the user "anonymous" and that is perfect for spammers and trolls. A junior high school level hacker will get your real IP even if you use a proxy.

I'm not saying you are a troll (yet), I'm just stating the facts, mike.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #45
Walk of Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
Thank YOU eversomuch for your much needed permission to act in a manner I feel appropriate and comfortable with.

I was SO worried that you may not understand.

AHAHAhahaHHAHAHAHAhahaHAHAHAHAHahahHAHHAHAHahahaHA HAhah

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out, it closes quick on those tucked tails.

Damn smart door now that I think on it.
Wes,
Can you even read?
Your response to the quoted text makes no sense whatsoever.
If anyone should be tucking their tail, it is you. You have some mental image of yourself as a wordsmith, but your comprehension appears to be somewhat lacking.

As far as taking advice from you, I think I'll pass.
You, who have been here since, I guess forever, have an aggregate karma (approval of your fellow members) of -2285 which puts you right there with your buddies Lawson and Clark. Third lowest on the site. Maybe you should take your own advice and return when you have developed some people skills.

I think I'll look for advice elsewhere.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #46
varnyard
Quote:
Wes,
Can you even read?
Your response to the quoted text makes no sense whatsoever.
If anyone should be tucking their tail, it is you. You have some mental image of yourself as a wordsmith, but your comprehension appears to be somewhat lacking.

As far as taking advice from you, I think I'll pass.
You, who have been here since, I guess forever, have an aggregate karma (approval of your fellow members) of -2285 which puts you right there with your buddies Lawson and Clark. Third lowest on the site. Maybe you should take your own advice and return when you have developed some people skills.

I think I'll look for advice elsewhere.
Yep, sure does smell like a fish.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #47
snake5007
Quote:

Based on the positive karma I have received on this thread,

I was going to ask you how much karma you got from Bud when i saw yours go up a bit. I'm certain that you got some from him, and probably Bruce too.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #48
Ken Harbart
Quote:
Jim O,
Here's an interesting read for you:
http://www.article-tips.com/technolo...ity-with-a/858
I did get a kick out of some of the author's misinformation concerning IP addresses.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #49
Gary O
Quote:
Use of an anonymous proxy server is more a method of hiding your true self than a method of security. It is also a common tool of spammers and trolls.

I would have to agree 100%

As using proxy will not protect your browser lmao.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #50
Gary O
Quote:
Exactly why proxy servers are not really very good security measures (as I said). They are meant to keep the user "anonymous" and that is perfect for spammers and trolls. A junior high school level hacker will get your real IP even if you use a proxy.

I'm not saying you are a troll (yet), I'm just stating the facts, mike.

Not even a good JR "hacker"

Lets review. Some dial up companies still share IPs. So that means many many PC will be under the same IP.

I have DSL. I have the same IP for a two week span. then it changes.

Each PC does not have a IP just for it. There is an ID on the net card though. But this is getting deeper then we need to talk about.

Proxy is used for hiding. and it is not a good hiding spot either. It is like sitting in the middle of a room with a sheet over you in a game of hide and seek. that is all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!