To breed or not to breed!? That is the question :) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Bella17
To breed or not to breed!? That is the question :)

Hey everyone.. So I want some opinions. I've had a couple people suggesting that I should breed my Male Anery. And I thought about it, and Although it is supposidly a bit hard to breed them, I think Id like to give it a shot for the experience. I have several friends interested in babies and several breeders I know looking for some babies if I breed him.
I had someone suggest that I should breed him to a Hypo het anery female? I beleive he said this would produce Hypos, ghosts, and het anery? or anery's?

I do not know much about the genetics so I am looking for your opinions on what would be the best matching for my boy. I want to learn alot about it and will be mkaing sure I can afford all after birth support for any babies I may get if I get any. So this isn't a "right now" thing.. it may be a year or so, because I doubt someone will be able to sell me a female of breeding size for the price I am looking at. Especially if she is a morph.

So.. a couple questions would be..
1: How much would a female Hypo het anery be? on average. as a baby and as an adult.
2: is that a good choice for a pairing?
3: what would be produced, and how much should everything be sold for? I dont want to screw over the snake market by selling stuff to cheap, but I also dont want to look like im out for the money and ask to high of a price.

4: How rewarding do you find it?! I think it would be awesome to do this and see all the cute babies I know everytime I get a new snakes its like Christmas for me, so I know this will be awesome if it all works well.

Like I said, I am going to do this right, I will be making charts for all babies, making sure they are properly sexed either by my vet, or Brian at BHB, because thats where my Male came from. And Il expect to keep all the babies, until they are eventually sold off.

So.. let me know what you think!?

Good Idea? Bad Idea?

Thanks Guys/gals!

Michelle

Old 04-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
stripedboa
I thinks it a good idea. Its the best feeling knowing you help produce does babies. We can use more people breeding afforable snakes for people looking to pets..

Your best bet would be to breed him to a Hypo het anery. You would get Ghost,hypo,anerys and normals. You can find a baby hypo het anery for $250 or cheaper a adult female would be $1000-1500.
You never know what babies are going to go for ,you have to check the market at the time you have the babies. Right not anerys are $125 -200 ,Ghost $400- 500 ,hypo het anery 200-250 depending on guality. This are prices that i am see people may have diffrent opinions.

You can also breed him to Normal het anery your cheapest bet or a anery.
You will produce anerys and normals.

I think it one of the best feeling seeing does babies born. I think its better thatn Christmas.

You can Pm if you have any other questions.

Thanks For the space
Nicole

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!