How often should I use the reptical? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #51
rosebud945
Okay, I see a few things that could be adjusted and could make a huge difference. She still looks okay, but is losing weight, so we need to get her setup straightened out ASAP.

As I suspected, there are two things that are less than great about your lighting. First, that ESU UVB bulb is junk. Toss it! It does not put out quality light or UVB. You really need to get a better UVB bulb ASAP or she will start to develop MBD. It could also be hurting her eyes.

The second thing is that her tank, except for the basking spot, is rather dark. Beardies are full daytime critters and need bright ambient light with hides where they can retreat if they want to. I bet she is simply having a hard time seeing. So, I urge you to get a Reptisun 10 UVB bulb, and remove that tape from around the hole where your basking beam is shooting in. We want to brighten up that tank, and get another hide of two for the cooler parts of the tank. But we want to do that without raising the ambient temps. Did you get that cool side temp down some more? There needs to be a cool spot that is below 80 in case she is overheating.

Now, with Florescent UVB bulbs, you need to expose her to within 7-8 inches of the bulb, or it won't do any good, so I would go down on the wattage of the basking bulb and get a different basking setup that raises her a bit, to within 7 inches of the top, then re tweek your basking temps. Then make sure that the uvb bulb is right along side the basking bulb so that she definitely gets uvb while she is basking.

These bulbs can be trusted for 6-8 months, and then they need to be replaced. I use Mercury Vapor bulbs that last 3 times as long, put out much better uvb, and provide heat, so it is the perfect basking bulb. But you might need to wait, because it looks like you do have a 20-30 long, and MVBs are too hot for small tanks. They are the best, so that might be an idea for the future.

You might want to visit this thread. It is full of setups and can add a visual to what I am saying
http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/v...ilit=vivs+only

Then do get the soy yogurt. It will give her a boost of fluids, protein and gut flora. I have found that beardies love it and it really perks them up. I buy Stoneyfield Farms O'Soy at Walmart or Super Target.

Well, let me know if I have just given you way too much to process! Beardies are really hard to set up, but I promise it gets easier and a lot more fun once you get it all working.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #52
rosebud945
BTW, on that UVB and distance recommendation, don't let her get any closer than 7-8 inches, either or it becomes dangerous. Its a balancing act!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #53
Kloster
Alright, I figured itd be the UVB. Theres no way it was impaction because shes been pooping quite a few times now!

Ill take your advice about the foil in the top and take other measures to prevent a possible fire, as you can probably tell im a pretty nervous person...

If my PetCo doesnt have the 10 ReptiSun which other one should I get? Or steer clear from?

Should I order it online, can she wait a few days? Or is the situation dire or getting there by like tomorrow?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #54
Kloster
BTW I do plan on switching to MVB, but as you said it needs to be a bigger tank. Itll come soon though...

Old 03-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #55
rosebud945
You can buy it online. A few days won't make that much difference. I get stuff pretty cheap at www.reptilesupply.com, and if you eventually want the MVB, check out this site www,reptileuv.com

While you wait for the UVB bulb, just put another spot with an energy saver bulb n it at the other end of the tank for more light. They don't produce very much heat and work great to increase ambient light. Or, you can set a lamp next to that end of the tank, but light in the tank would be better.

Is that screen plastic? If its wire, then you can set the lamp directly on it. I promise it won't cause a fire.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #56
Kloster
Alright so I moved the light and i just placed some pieces of wood on top of the plastic.
Temps are much better (stabler, air is a little warmer, rock goes from 103 to 105).
Her cool side is ~

I tried the yogurt and no go I put it on her nose with my finger and she licked it and I had hope, then she went for some in my finger and I thought YAY but after that she ignored it. I tried more from my finger, dabbing it on some greens, on a piece of papaya, papaya on its own and even dabed some on a worm and she just ignored it and ran away.

Her appetite is worrying me (had her for 3 days and already shes got me whipped).

At the moment shes inside her rock(its hollow so its like a hide/basking spot). I also built a small hide out of wood (just glued some peices together) and thats in her cool side. I found it strange since its only 7:45 PM and shes already inside her rock, I dunno if I should hit the lights and call it a day or what? Maybe retry the yogurt after a little nap?

Bathed her again today but she didnt drop a deuce. How often is TOO often to bathe her? She seems to like it a lot so Ive done it 1 day yes 1 no but I want to do it every day if she likes it so much.

Tomorrow Im gonna get that Reptisun 10 from PetCo.
How fast will she improve after I set it up?

Thanks alot rosebud!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #57
Kloster
Forgot to finish typing...
Cool side is ~ 78-80

Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #58
rosebud945
Did you add more light to the enclosure? If its still dimly lit, then she might still be having trouble seeing. There is no guarantee that the reptisun will fix the problem, but usually if the problem is a bad bulb, they start to improve within hours. With a MVB, its almost immediate.

Has she eaten crix today? Did you try some more silk worms with the tweezers?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #59
Kloster
Yes I did. Silkies and Phoenix.
She didnt want to know anything about it.

I put a night lamp on the other side of the enclosure and this thing is pretty bright, it lit up that side of the enclosure much to her surprise, she was like "whoa!" and started running around there.

I hope tomorrow after I get her new light shell be into eating more.
If not, what should I do?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #60
rosebud945
I just sent you a pm.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!