Paul Edwards Reptiles, in Charleston NC...anyone do business with him? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #11
romad119
Otherwise he had great communications and even provided me with 4 to 6 photos of each animal.

Old 11-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #12
Chameleon Company
To each his own, to be certain. Paul has made a business decision that may turn-off some buyers, with the "PayPal mark-up", and which may be in violation of the PayPal TOS. I agree that the priorities behind it may be a little out of whack, and IMO it is best to be sure to have all of the various payment processing costs absorbed in the original asking price, just as you would all other costs of production. The bad-press here is a perfect example of what might be another example of being penny-wise and pound (dollar)-foolish. But I don't want to label him as cheap or marginalize him, as not too many years ago many gas companies charged two different prices, cash or credit. Seems as though all other aspects of his business are pretty good. Happy Thanksgiving !!

Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #13
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob @ RK Reptiles
I still can't believe that some sellers are too cheap themselves and try to charge the fees to the buyer. It is a price of doing business. Any legitimate business will not have a problem with the fees and will not pass it on to the buyer. In the last couple of years I have paid in fees (both Paypal and my Credit Card terminal) myself close to $3000.

I have never purchased anything from Paul but have sold him animals in the past and would have never had a problem with purchasing anything from him. Now if I were to want to purchase anything from him and he tried to charge me the fees I would pass on the purchase as well.
Rob,

I'm curious about one thing. Did he pay by PayPal or credit card? If so, did he voluntarily add in 3.2%, or even offer to do so?

Old 11-23-2005, 05:07 PM   #14
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Our deal was a couple of years back but If I remember correctly he paid in cash in person at a show in one of the Carolina's. But I am quite sure he would not include the percentage fee to a payment just because.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #15
Rob @ RK Reptiles
I just went back and checked my records and he did pay through paypal and no he did not add in the fee charged by paypal.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #16
Zoo Supply
I spend over 250 dollars a month in fees just for one credit card machine, then I have a wireless machine for shows, and paypal for those that choose paypal. I also just received 3400 dollars in fake postal money orders. Which would you rather have??? Guaranteed funds costing you 6 bucks, or 3400 in fake money orders???(I didn't loose any money on that deal..was just a nigerian scam that I saw through to get the money orders so he had to waste his time...lol)
TOM

Old 11-23-2005, 08:06 PM   #17
Suncoast Herpetological
Thumbs down No to the fee!!!

It is absolutely a SELLER cost of doing business. Not only does it specifically violate PayPal's TOS, (they will jerk your account in a heartbeat if you are reported) it is a violation of several States laws to charge any type of surcharge for using a credit card. This does vary from state to state though.

I, personally, have passed on a number of animals due to this all to common practice among certain sellers.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:30 PM   #18
Chameleon Company
Lest our old HS Geography teacher drop in

Paul resides in that jewel city of the south Charleston, South Carolina, not to be confused with the equally immensely popular Charleston, North Carolina ...

Old 04-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #19
Rakshasanyc
Thumbs up Good Experience with Paul Edwards

I recently purchased an albino ratsnake from Paul. The whole transaction was flawless, smooth as silk from start to finish.. and the snake is absolutely gorgeous! I definitely look forward to doing business with him again.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #20
homegrownherps
Paul had a table next us at the Ladson,S.C. Expo and although I did not purchase any of his animals, I can say that his animals appeared healthy and active. If I were to make a purchase I would do so w/o hesitation.

As for the additional 3% fee he is asking for....
I do not charge the customers that pay me thru Pay Pal the xtra 3%, and I wouldn't pay it either.

Here are the TOS concerning that 3% fee;

It is against our User Agreement for a seller to charge an additional fee
to accept payments from a PayPal buyer.

Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and
the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge
a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a
"surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other
fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you
from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or
services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in
other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not
be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment
methods).

This is right from their terms of service.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!