Wanted LOOKING FOR CROCODILE MONITOR - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Lizards For Sale/Wanteds > Monitors

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Efigs2007
Exclamation LOOKING FOR CROCODILE MONITOR

Hey guys my name is Eddy. I'm a reptile zookeeper. I have my personal collection of reptiles including a cape monitor, water monitor, breeding pair of boa's and 2 scorpions. I'm looking to purchase a Crocodile Monitor as well. I do reptile and wildlife talks and various schools and camps and i feel as if a croc would really be the final animal to make people say wow. I currently live in naples florida. I'm looking for a croc anywhere between 2-4 feet long and as calm as possible, i'm not afraid to work with them given the fact i work with komodo dragons everyday. I just want who ever I'm buying this animal from to understand it will be around people and children on a regular basis, i will use a harness and leash just like my cape and water monitor. If you are selling one please email me at eddiegchs2005@yahoo.com.
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Efigs2007
Oh Also

Just in case you read what i wrote and your questioning if i know how to handle or take care of Crocodile Monitors just remember I'm a lead reptile keeper. I work with everything from a 17 foot retic to 14 foot to Alligators to Komodo Dragons all of which are hands on contact. So yes i know how to handle and take proper care of Crocodile Monitors. Also like i said before i can spend around $800.00 in total. I have an enclosure for it outside with branches and a nice sized pool. I have the money to take care of it but times are hard and spending more then $800.00 is to much. If anyone is selling Crocodile Monitors or knows of someone selling them let me know ok. Thank you
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 AM   #3
AW2EOD
Not trying to be rude, but if you think a Croc would be a good animal to take to a school/camp/wildlife talk, then you haven't the slightest idea about Crocs.

You, keeping what Monitors you do have, a pair of Boas and some Scorpions doesn't even come remotely close to the experiance/research/knowledge you need, before keeping a Croc for yourself.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
cursedj
im pretty sure i read that right and he says hes a reptile keeper(as his career) who handles everything from komodos to retics...... i think he will be ok. hes asking to buy a monitor not start a debate on his knowledge.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Efigs2007
Thank You

I have more then enough experience dealing with reptiles and monitors. And all the animals i bring around children or people i make sure they stay at least 15 feet away and no one is allowed to touch any of the animals i bring around. And all of my monitors get put on a harness and a leash, and i will never bring any animal around people if i feel like they will cause any harm to anyone or be a danger to anyone. I take extreme precautions before i do anything with any animals around people. Please im not looking for any personal opinions. I'm the lead reptile keeper at an AZA zoo. I know exactly what im doing and i've been doing this for quite some time. Thank you
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Efigs2007
Also if anyone knows of any breeders that might possibly have croc monitors let me know ok? And if any are in Florida even better
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
TailsWithScales
I believe the last CBB babies came from the Chicago zoo last year. But captive bred specimens are for sale.

I personally have owned four Crocs and would not use them for educational shows unless they're in a cage. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or start a debate but these guys are easily startled and will really mess you up if you happen to be holding them when it happens. Not to mention what will happen if a bunch of kids sees you get bit or clawed up. Again I really mean no offense and am not trying to be upsetting or rude.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Efigs2007
Talking Thank you

Very much i will take it into consideration. Trust me i dont take offense very easily and i really appreciate you writing a response. See the only thing is i trained a Komodo Dragon to be used in a show and be taken around people. Many, many people told me it can't be done nor should it be done yet i did it and it worked. I know Croc's are flighty and i've seen pics of what they can do and yeah they can insane damage i won't deny that. I know the amount of effort and the amount of time that you have to put in with these animals and i'm more then willing to devote my time to it. Plus i love a challenge, see when i was training the Komodo when i personally thought it was ready to be exposed to a crowd of people i did it on a small scale. So when i train a crocodile monitor and i feel its ready to be exposed to people i will do it on an extremely small scale and slowly work up. I do like when people leave positive replies though. So tailswithscales thank you very much i honestly hope i hear back from you soon. Take care
  Contact User Check User
Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #9
AW2EOD
I wasn't trying to start a debate or insult his intelligence.

I was speaking from a Croc Monitor owners point of view, on the subject...an owner to a very large, male Croc. A very large, male that tolerates me touching him, petting him, picking him up, etc. And even then, what you're saying is throwing numerous red flags up.

I'm friends with the person who bought the CB pair, from the Chicago show, last year. I'm also friends with the person who SOLD the CB pair, at the Chicago show.

I've worked with Komodo before, as well as 20'+ Retics and Green Annies.

Crocs are not show animals. They're not interactive animals. They're more intelligent than we'll ever know. They're very dangerous animals.

I've done educational show, schools, etc and even though every animal I've ever taken was docile, you still never know. As Christine said, they will "mess you up". And, even though it's the holder that's going to get torn up, it's not good to expose kids to that.

You putting the words "Croc" and "tame" into the same sentence is almost borderline rediculous. It doesn't happen. They're not a Savannah Monitor. You, stating that you're wanting to put a Croc on a harness and leash just solidifies my opinion. Talk to ANY long term Croc keeper and tell them you're wanting to put one on a leash. You won't even begin to imagine the flaming you're going to take.

Again, not trying to start a debate. Just trying to state an very knowledgable opinion. There are already too many people out there, trying to ban our hobby. The last thing we need, in the new is "Reptile keeper takes Crocodile Monitor to school. Keeper and kids injured. Monitor killed."

Old 08-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #10
Efigs2007
Ok well the thing is i've had many people tell me you can't train alligators or crocodiles and guess what? people have done it, i've seen alligators target trained and crocodiles trained to shift. My point is Croc Monitors are very very inteligent therefore if you work with them and handle them you can get them somewhat used to being around people or even wearing a harness and how do i know this? because i have talked to fellow aza reptile keepers and the majority feel how i feel, on top of the fact that if i do work with a croc and i cannot put a harness on it or it doesn't get comfortable around people then guess what? i dont take it around people no big deal. Either way i LOVE croc monitors so i'll take good care of it whether i can use it for shows or not. SOO all in all i KNOW what im doing and i have been taking care of dangerous animals and training dangerous animals for a very long time, needless to say i dont owe anyone any kind of explanation. If you have a crocodile monitor you are selling or know of where i can get one that is under 5 feet in length let me know. ALSO if you have a croc monitor for sale BUT all you've fed it is rats and mice and rabbits i'm not interested. Thank you
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread