2 Tegu Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
snakewrangler
2 Tegu Questions

Hi all,

I'm pleased to report that my tegus have been doing well since I got them last year. However, I would like to get some other opinions from different keepers on these two topics:

1. Is it safe to feed tegus seafood? I buy shrimp and squid in quantity for my pirhanas, and I was wondering if that was ok for the tegus too.

2. How critical is it for a tegu kept indoors to have UVB light? I currently have PowerSun lights on my enclosures, but is this necessary?

Thanks for your input!

Old 01-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
varnyard
Quote:
=SethsExotics]Hi all,
I'm pleased to report that my tegus have been doing well since I got them last year. However, I would like to get some other opinions from different keepers on these two topics:

1. Is it safe to feed tegus seafood? I buy shrimp and squid in quantity for my pirhanas, and I was wondering if that was ok for the tegus too.
I would not feed these items as a staple, as a treat would be fine. The high salt content as well as iodine would make these probably not the best choices for a staple food source.

Quote:
2. How critical is it for a tegu kept indoors to have UVB light? I currently have PowerSun lights on my enclosures, but is this necessary?

Thanks for your input!
Tegus must have UV lighting; there is no way around this. Tegus that do not have UV lighting will cease eating, they will shortly after begin to have tremors. I have heard of using D3 powder to substitute UV, studies have also proven this myth to be false. They will still cease eating and start having tremors with the use of this product. It has shown to have no beneficial effect as a substitute. A tegu without UV lighting will die without it.

Also, D3 can be used along with UV, it can be found in many reptile vitamin powders used for dusting. However, it must be used in moderation. A overdose of D3 can and will cause the death of these animals.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Stardust
I agree with Bobby on both counts. I would also like to add that even when my tegu is "sleeping" I do put the UV on just as a precaution measure. Not everyday but about every other day(although this could be my way of feeling like I am taking care of him even when he is sleeping )

Old 01-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
snakewrangler
Thanks guys. I have been lucky enough to find a store here in Northern VA that is selling huge bags of cypress mulch for $3. The tegus are doing awesome, although they are still a little food-aggressive, meaning I can only handle them after they have been fed. Both came from Sean Casey Rescue in Long Island, NY, and I would guess that would mean they came from less-than-suitable homes, so all things considered, they are doing a-ok.

Varnyard- you are always a help to me and to others on the forum. Thank you so much.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!