Arg B&W gets pissy in her cage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Wulery
Arg B&W gets pissy in her cage

She around 1.5 years old now. She's 100% fine outside of her cage and even when she's in her cage and I go to pick her up, she tail-whips. It's not bad now, but I don't want a 4 foot tegu tail whipping me. Do you think she'll get over it, or is there any trick I could try? Thanks.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Wulery
She bit me for the first time today. I don't understand it. She's the sweetest thing outside of her cage. She also hates the act of being picked up. After that, she's fine.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Apep
most lizards act like that i know mine do. but when they get out their just fine.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
varnyard
I have seen a few of these animals that do not calm down 100%. This is the reason some of us breeders breed for disposition. There are some that will never make the best pets, I have been through a bunch of animals to get the ones I have. Many people who have gotten tegus from me have stated they are calm right out of the box, so I would think genetics do play a major role in having a calm pet.

I am not saying your tegu will or will not become calm. But it sounds like it does not like human contact. There could be a few reasons for this, it could also be a trust issue.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Wulery
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
I have seen a few of these animals that do not calm down 100%. This is the reason some of us breeders breed for disposition. There are some that will never make the best pets, I have been through a bunch of animals to get the ones I have. Many people who have gotten tegus from me have stated they are calm right out of the box, so I would think genetics do play a major role in having a calm pet.

I am not saying your tegu will or will not become calm. But it sounds like it does not like human contact. There could be a few reasons for this, it could also be a trust issue.
The weird thing about this one is that it seems to like me once it's out of its cage. I let it crawl around on my couch and she will explore and eventually come back to me and fall asleep on my lap. She's even fine if I pick her up from anywhere but her cage.

I might as well add this to this thread instead of the other one I made. The tegu I got off of you is showing a little improvement now. I nudge him into the net, and then nudge him out of the net into his feeding cage. Then when he's done, I put my hand in the cage. He crawls all around and walks over my hand. Eventually I can slowly pick him up. He still resists a good bit, but I just hold him for a minute in the cage until he calms down. Then I hold him in my lab for a while and he slowly walks around. I don't let him go far because he could take off really quick. Hopefully if I keep this up I'll eventually be able to just pick him up in his cage without him flipping out every time.

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Wulery
Yesterday, she was a whole different lizard. I walked by her cage and she was just sitting there, watching me wherever I went. So I went over to her and she crawled into my hands.

Today, she was jumpy, but didn't even do a real tail whip. So she's showing some progress.

I also noticed her wiggling her tail, I think when she's startled. It moves in a slow, wave-like motion. Does anyone know what that means?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Wulery
...and today she went back to her old self. I went to pick her up and she actually lunged at me. I don't know what to do. I'm not experienced enough to have a big mean tegu.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
Wulery
Well, she continues to bite me when I get her out of her cage. What do you think I should do, Bobby, sell her before she's too big and unhandleable for me, or just keep trying to tame her?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
varnyard
Will, if I was you, that is exactly what I would do. As I said before some tegus do not get tame or choose to have human contact. It is just like any other animal, some like people, some don't.

I have been through probably 500 tegus, my breeders must have three things in order for me to keep them for breeding. They must have nice color, size and a good disposition. If they do not meet those requirements, I do not keep them. IMO it is like dogs, calm tame dogs tend to produce tame puppies. I admit a few might not be as calm and tame, but as a rule they would have a better chance. Mean dogs tend to have mean pups, or pups that will grow to be like the parents. I think it would be true with tegus as well. Will all of my babies grow to be tame? No, a few might not, but most would tend to be more calm then the babies produced by mean adults.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!