my new gecko (not a leopard) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
brandy101010
my new gecko (not a leopard)

my parents brought home a tokay gecko from petco to me because it was free to a good home. (guess they diddnt know that there was a difference between leopards a tokays lol) well he looks a little on the skinny side to me. his spine is kinda sticking out. someone told me that he looks healthy and that its normal for themto be that skinny? but all the pics i have seen are of chubby little jaba the gecko looking things. i never had one before. i found plenty of basic care sheets online but am having a hard time finding any in depth info on them. i have all the basics covered and as soon ass he/she poos ill be taking it to a vet for a fecal. oh and he is missing a toe. he is so cool. I hope i can get some weight on him!
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
Landmark Reptiles
Thumbs up Few words of advice...

LOL not trying to be mean here but I would not handle a Tokay! I have seen some pretty nasty wounds from them, and from what iIve read they have a nack for biting, and biting hard. Good luck with fattening him up- better off at your place then petco fo' sure!

Old 02-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
lilDD
Kewl Gecko, hope his health returns to normal!

Old 02-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
lilDD
Keep me updated on his health, and be very cautious when handleing! They can get kinda nasty!!!

Old 02-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
brandy101010
oh i know they can be nasty. i used to work at a pet store and i dreaded whenever i had to take them out of the take!
it looks like im holding him/her in this pic but actually my hand is behind the glass. i was trying to block a glare lol. but if you look at his back feet you can see that he is just sticking to the glass.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
lilDD
Wow the pic is deceaving! lol

Old 02-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
BalloonzForU
LOL...I was hoping you weren't hold that gecko. You're gutsier than me. I won't be keeping them anytime soon. But they are very pretty.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #8
Ian S.
Tokays definately tend to have nasty dispositions. Lots of TLC, handling & rubbing they tame nicely. With the exception of a few. Getting bit is not a good idea ever, but from first hand expierience when tokays bite they bite long and hard. I would recomend a good pair of gloves for training. Be warned.... sometimes gloves stay in the tank with the gecko. LOL

Old 02-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
snookman
Thats a cool gecko! I always thought Tokay's were the coolest looking gecko and wanted one for the longest time,(still do!) but I heard that they bark pretty loud at night and I can't be having that. Do they really bark?

Old 02-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
brandy101010
i have not heard mine bark yet. but maybe its because he is still getting used to his home.

He is doing really well he has taken to tweezer feeding and thats a good sign in my book that he may be able to be tamed!

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!