HHMoore Finicky eater insight! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Leighanne
HHMoore Finicky eater insight!

remember what I said

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

about getting a feel for who is giving you advice?
I thought I remembered Jen H breaking onto the scene not too long ago with some typical new keeper questions. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...ead.php?t=81194
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...ead.php?t=81794
I showed you those simply as a means of offering encouragement - Jen is one of the people you look up to, whose experience and advice you trust...but just one short year ago, she was asking some of the same questions you are now. And experiencing some of the same problems.

I am more than willing to help you through this problem, Kristin, but since you asked if I would be 'your one person' - that is how I want it to be (at least for this issue). I will also ask that you not post our PMs immediately, for no other reason than that I don't want to stimulate discussion about how we are doing things. There truly are a number of ways to approach this, and my way may not be the one that others will recommend. I have done this enough times, and talked with enough people that really know balls (and I mean REALLY know balls) that I am not going to be swayed by somebody telling us we should do this before that. We'll get to it, and get her eating. I am out of time at the moment, but please email me a CURRENT picture or two of her so I can try to assess her body weight. (knbdogs@yahoo.com). When did you get her, from whom, and do you know if she is WC, CH, or CB?
I'll send the rest of my questions later, after I get things settled here.
Take care

If you have a scale, we don't need to worry about pictures. At 235 g, we know where we are, and can periodically check her weight. So she was likely a CH that you got from a petstore, but she ate f/t regularly up until March - is that correct?

A couple of questions about your setup.
- Which size box is she currently in, the 28 or the 15 qt?
- What type of thermometer do you have? (if you have a digital indoor/outdoor type that stores hi/low temps, it will help a lot)
- What type of substrate are you using?
- Are there hides in the box now? If yes, please describe it/them, and where they are placed in relation to the heat source
- Did you offer the f/t dry or wet?
- How did you present it - I know you mentioned tongs, but did you have to do anything special or did she just snatch it right away?
- how is the top currently secured? we don't want any escapes now, lol.

last food offered was 5/1, last enclosure change 5/2 or 5/3. If your thermometer is an indoor/outdoor type, make sure the probe is right over the UTH (tape it, if necessary), and the other piece is at the far end of the cool side - ideally positioned in a manner that will allow you to read the numbers without opening the box (we can work around it if you can't). Gotta run - more later