Reptster Shipping - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #81
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Anyone's free to try it out...But I'm gonna pass. I see issues that could arise considering their is no true certification process (and hasn't it already been pointed out that they still need to put scientific AND common name for the Lacey Act and currently they aren't doing it?). 1-2 years down the road if it's still up and running I'll give it a go for sure...But I'm not one to jump on something new with something as important (to me) as shipping.
Steph, I agree with you on this.

If you have a reliable shipper that gets your animals there on time alive....why change!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #82
shrap
Steph,

Maybe you should not look at it as a all or nothing type of thing. Instead look at it as another tool/option at our disposal. Which is only a good thing.

As Gary said it can save you money on boxes/packaging and help you sell your $50-$100 animals easier when the shipping price is $20 cheaper for the buyer.

Here is another aspect that you may not have considered. Every time a person ships via FedEx without a reptile waiver it has the potential to give the entire industry a black eye. At least with Repster you are shipping within FedEx's terms of service.

So ultimately what they are doing is only a good thing all around. Could there be some bumps in the road? Certainly, all new ventures usually do. Is this a good idea and something the reptile industry sorely needed? Absolutely. Especially for the hobbyist breeder who only has a handful of animals to ship a year.

But ultimately the shipping process is no different than having your own account. You fill out the air bill, you give package to FedEX, FedEx gives package to customer. So if there is a problem with that particular delivery, then more than likely the problem was going to happen regardless of whether you used Repster or your own account.

Just some food for thought.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #83
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Maybe you should not look at it as a all or nothing type of thing. Instead look at it as another tool/option at our disposal. Which is only a good thing.
I understand what you're saying...But I am already FedEx certified...So why do I need another tool (at this time) for something I already have?

Quote:
As Gary said it can save you money on boxes/packaging and help you sell your $50-$100 animals easier when the shipping price is $20 cheaper for the buyer.
I wouldn't use their packaging unless I covered up their advertising sticker...and I don't think they'd like that.

Quote:
Here is another aspect that you may not have considered. Every time a person ships via FedEx without a reptile waiver it has the potential to give the entire industry a black eye. At least with Repster you are shipping within FedEx's terms of service.
I already am shipping via FedEx's terms of service. Technically these individuals who are using Repster aren't certified...How long do you think it'll take FedEx to go "Whoops! We should have required actual approval because these people aren't doing things right." That is what I'm worried about.

Quote:
But ultimately the shipping process is no different than having your own account. You fill out the air bill, you give package to FedEX, FedEx gives package to customer. So if there is a problem with that particular delivery, then more than likely the problem was going to happen regardless of whether you used Repster or your own account.
Exactly! But I'm not ready to gamble my shipping on this system yet. Like I said, 1-2 years down the road if it's still running and the kinks have been ironed out, I will seriously take a look at it and take it into consideration.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #84
shrap
Steph,

I was not asking you to use the service. I was just trying to point out how it can be a good thing for the reptile industry as a whole. Not you personally.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #85
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Anyone's free to try it out...But I'm gonna pass. I see issues that could arise considering their is no true certification process (and hasn't it already been pointed out that they still need to put scientific AND common name for the Lacey Act and currently they aren't doing it?). 1-2 years down the road if it's still up and running I'll give it a go for sure...But I'm not one to jump on something new with something as important (to me) as shipping.
Does that mean you finally gave up the other companies to go with FedEx for shipping your snakes?
As far as the labeling, that is up to the individual shipper - NOT the shipping company. I'll agree that I think that should have been mentioned in the video, though, because a lot of people just don't know. (Apparently, a lot just don't care, too, because I don't think I have EVER received a package that was properly labeled...the closest one I can recall had the information written on the inside flap of the box top, so it was visible only when the box was fully opened.)

The rest of your points I understand and agree with...I jumped quicker than I would have because I had animals going out, and an unresolved issue with my FedEx account. If I can ever get in touch with my rep to fix it, I'd probably continue to use my account.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #86
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Does that mean you finally gave up the other companies to go with FedEx for shipping your snakes?
Not too sure what you're talking about, but I've got shipping agreements with both FedEx and DHL (I give customers the choice)...but I've never used UPS (at least not in several years if at all that I can remember) or Delta.

Quote:
The rest of your points I understand and agree with...I jumped quicker than I would have because I had animals going out, and an unresolved issue with my FedEx account. If I can ever get in touch with my rep to fix it, I'd probably continue to use my account.
I don't fault anyone for using it at all. We all have different requirements and concerns... Heck, if no one jumped on the program right away, I wouldn't be able to watch and see how it goes for everyone else!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #87
SPJ
I am Fed Ex certified and have still used Reptster a few times now. The rates I get thru Reptster are better than thru my account.
If I can charge a customer $45 for shipping across the country versus $60, then it makes the total price lower to the buyer.
I have not had any issues with Reptster getting things there on time. I was however, using my account for pickups since I did not want to deal with Kinkos but now Reptster allows you to schedule pickups as well.
Plus with Repster, I no longer need to order boxes thru Superior since the boxes Reptster provides free of charge are the exact same ones. That allows me to knock a few bucks off the selling price of the animal.
Reptster is just starting out and so far they are doing everything they can to make it easier and less costly to ship animals.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #88
hhmoore
All I know is everday that passes without me hearing from a FedEx rep irritates me just that much more, lol.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #89
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
All I know is everday that passes without me hearing from a FedEx rep irritates me just that much more, lol.
That's really weird. I don't have issues with my FedEx or DHL reps (though I will say my DHL rep seems to be more attentive). Can you maybe request another one if you lodge a complaint about your current one?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #90
hhmoore
I suspect that my FedEx rep is no longer there, as she was always very good about responding. I'm not getting responses from anybody - which is why I'm getting annoyed

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
repster, reptster