UPS and Shpping Snakes (a chance at legitimacy) - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:28 AM   #61
Darin Chappell
Here's the first draft. Let the disection begin!

Dear Sir,

This introductory note is written on behalf of the many responsible and business oriented members of the overall herpetological society in our nation. We are a group of people who are committed to standards of excellence, not only in our production of a quality product (greater care and understanding toward all reptiles and amphibians), but also terrific customer service, with a strong desire to comply with all rules and regulations governing our efforts. With those ideas in mind, we bring to your attention an offer for using your compnay in a manner to the benefit of all involved.

Those of us in the herpetogical industry have many different areas of interest to be certain, but we all want to be able to practice our business pursuits with the greatest of efficiency, while remaining within the guidelines set for us. However, some of us, the breeders, selllers, and potential shippers of snakes, are not able to fulfill our obligations to our customers as we wish, because of the banning of snakes from all UPS shipping. We would therefore like you to consider the possibility of modifying that ban somewhat in an effort to “test the waters” concerning this potential area of business for you.

What we are proposing is an allowance of non-venomous, non-hazzardous snakes to be shipped through your organization. The animals would be properly packaged, labeled, and handled by the shippers in question so as to provide a safe shipment for both the animals and the handlers of the boxes. We know that there are fears concerning this area of shipments, but given that we are speaking specifically of harmless animals four feet long or less, we believe that those fears can be assuaged.

While the vast majority of us in this industry offer a “live arrival” guarantee to our customers, we are willing to fully accept the cost of such; we would not be seeking insurance coverages on the values of the animals. Our goal is merely to be able to ship in a confident manner, knowing that our animals will be arriving on time. We take the necessary steps to insure the health and safety of our charges.

We are an industry of several thousand breeders, wholesalers, pet shops, and individual pet owners, wherein tens of thousands of animals are shipped every year. As such, if UPS were to step up as the first openly accepting shipper of snakes, we believe you would recognize a significant increase of shipments from our industry. Even those of our number that ship lizards, turtles, and amphians without any sort of restriction through other shippers, we believe, would be willing to change their shipping compnay of choice so as to support your efforts in accomodating their comrades in herpetology.

We are open to any level of discussion that might further this request we make of UPS, and we would be happy to explain any aspect of our needs in detail. There are also a number of us who are more than willing to have representatives from UPS come and inspect our operational practices, so as to determine for themselves what it is that we are doing in our businesses. Whatever bises there may be toward our industry, we want nothing more than to lay them aside so that we too can be avid and loyal customers of UPS for years to come.

Thank you for your time and kind consideration.

Sincerely,

Old 01-13-2004, 12:25 PM   #62
Mickey_TLK
Great job

However I just shpped ups yesterday for the first time this year, and they are up to something locally.

They have new signs clearly stating NO LIVE ANIMAL SHIPMENTS.

They nearly would not accept my crested geckos for shipment even with a letter from corporate explaining that I am allowed to ship them. Finally after a half hour of aurguing, and a call to corporate I was allowed to ship, this time.

WHo knows whats to come next. THEY CLAIM TO MANY PEOPLE ARE MAKEING CLAIMS ON LIVE ANIMALS????????? And may no longer accept any, who knows.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 01-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #63
Darin Chappell
I think that is why this part:

"While the vast majority of us in this industry offer a “live arrival” guarantee to our customers, we are willing to fully accept the cost of such; we would not be seeking insurance coverages on the values of the animals."

is so important to include in our agreement.

What do you think?

Old 01-13-2004, 01:01 PM   #64
Dennis Gulla
I think you did a good job, well written. I don't see anything that needs to be changed at this point. I guess we can wait and see what everyone else thinks and go from there.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:01 PM   #65
Mickey_TLK
I agree completely. I had to go through that same thing yesterday with the ups people. I explained to them that I know full well, should they loose a box, smash a box, or set it in a block of ice, I AM THE ONE TO LOOSE not them.

Im not sure if this is a local witch hunt soo to speak or national. If you guys could, next time anyone ships ups, would you check and see if NO LIVE ANIMALS is on any signs in your hub or if its just down here.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 01-27-2004, 06:47 PM   #66
BryonsBoas
Fwd the addy to me as well please

When you get Mr. Cooks addy ,please fwd here as well.

BryonsBoas@Fanforce.net

Bryon Adzic

Old 01-27-2004, 06:52 PM   #67
BryonsBoas
Fwd the addy to me as well please

When you get Mr. Cooks addy ,please fwd here as well.

BryonsBoas@Fanforce.net

Bryon Adzic

Old 01-28-2004, 09:32 PM   #68
JJFOUTZ
Thumbs up Great idea

I think this idea has serious potential and would like to know where it stands at this point. Is someone going to send one letter or are we going to send letters (copies of the draft) individually? I think including some numbers would help like previously discussed here. Something that they could get a good idea how many people would ship with them if they allowed it. I would add my name to a list if there is one that is being compiled to attach to a one letter aproch. The question is, would they be looking for shipments from those on the list in the future if they decided to deny this request? I would be willing to add my name anyway and take that chance. Would it a good idea to set up an e-mail address for people to send thier info (name or whatever would be decided to send) to compile a list of names if that was decided to be an option for a one letter aproch? The e-mailing of info could be open for a period of time so there is a decided deadline to sign for the letter to be sent. Maybe a month or something like that. Sorry I guess I am thinking out loud (sort of).

Old 01-28-2004, 11:07 PM   #69
Mickey_TLK
Its been a while since this thread was touched on. Alot of work went into the letter Im sure, so it would be nice to see something come of it.

I think the deadline idea and central place to send the emails, are both good ideas. If needed I will take the email address, but I warn everyone I have a TON of emails on file allready so things MAY get lost in the mix. I have a bad habbit of not earasing old info for months not even sure why anymore.

I would also be a bit leary of them "watching for future shipments: if you put your name on this list. I personally have experienced what its like to be "watched" by ups and my boxes are always taken to ups opened, and ready for inspection, as I know its coming every time theese days. So I have nothing to loose myself, but I would keep that in mind.

Let me know what you guys think, lets get the ball rolling again. However the only down side to pushing this time of year, is we cant really easily put up or shut up right now With temps as low as they are, and breeding season just starting, I imagine few people are shipping TONS of boxes right now. IF they were to institute a "trial period" this time of year, the numbers wouldnt be very impressive Im afraid. Myself I have only shipped one package in the last month due to weather concerns.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 01-29-2004, 08:38 AM   #70
JJFOUTZ
Maybe we should keep the list open for compiling addresses for a period of time so that the letter would be sent during a time period that everyone would be shipping and most people would have clutches by then. I don't know when the optimal time would be but I know it wouldn't be for awhile considering it is 10 degrees here right now.
What would be the most effective way to get the word out about the list being compiled if it is decided that will happen?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!