Hydroponics for Beginners - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
JColt
Hydroponics for Beginners

Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Dennis Hultman
This year my goal is to set up a aquaponics system.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Shadera
That's next for me. After I master this.

Water and I haven't become very good friends yet.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
JColt
Got a good start on a rice paddy there Shadera!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
This year my goal is to set up a aquaponics system.
Maybe not.

California regulations don't allow for my thoughts.
Quote:

It is legal (only with a permit) to have Tilapia in only
6 counties of California (San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Los
Angeles, Imperial & Orange)... In any other county in California it's
illegal for any type of Tilapia.

To legally have Tilapia in California one must register as a State
Permitted Aquaculture Facility.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Shadera
Good grief. What's so wrong with having a few tilapia in a closed system?

Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Good grief. What's so wrong with having a few tilapia in a closed system?
My understanding is the state is worried about invasive species but here is my thought.

Tilapia needs warmer waters, right? The counties that do permit them are in Southern California where it is WARMER. No counties in Northern California allow them. Makes a lot of sense to me. Oh, wait a minute this is California. It makes perfect sense.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
My understanding is the state is worried about invasive species but here is my thought.

Tilapia needs warmer waters, right? The counties that do permit them are in Southern California where it is WARMER. No counties in Northern California allow them. Makes a lot of sense to me. Oh, wait a minute this is California. It makes perfect sense.

So pondering this for awhile I can't help but come to a conclusion. While California uses the term invasive species, my opinion is it's merely a act.

They allow the breeding in the climate that would be most suitable for the fish if they were released. Why? Because large scale fish farming takes place in that area. They have a need and the fish is productive in those areas. They regulate and collect the fees. Makes it harder for a small backyard operation to juggle the paperwork and regulations in those areas to compete.

The areas that it would be harder for this fish to establish in the wild the state allows no possession. Why would that be? Large fish farms wouldn't be interested in keeping the species in those area due to the climate and costs, so they aren't interested. Small backyard operations aren't allowed so no fish will be produced in those ares and no competition in the state.

If the state states that it is worried of the invasive potential of the species and denies access to most of the state with one hand but then allows the species in the five counties most likely to have warm enough waters to support the invasive species then it simply is a business decision to allow the farms in that area to have a advantage, regulate and for the state to collect the fees while denying competition in the whole state and making it uneconomical for others to compete with large scale operations next to them in the same counties. Monopoly.

That's just my uneducated first thoughts. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Hmm, I can have catfish.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
you mean, laws in CA don't make sense?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!