Info Eddie Markward - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM   #111
CwnAnnwn
I have a few quesiton, most of the asked but did not see many answers.

How many animals was in Eddies care? How many did the op give him to care for?

How did an oil heater heat to the point of killing 118 animals?

Does anyone know what tstat was used? I can not imagine a commercial tstat overheating like that. I make my own, they don't and can not do that. But mine don't fail.

I just can not figure out how with best practices this happened.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #112
BillZ
I would also like to know what space heater was used. I use one as a backup in the winter and every one I ever saw has its own built in TStat. So, which one was used and did both Tstats fail? The one the heater was plugged into and the built in one? Although this may seem a moot point being the damage is done, I would like to know so as to avoid using the same.

Also, Im not convinced that, if in fact the deaths were cause by a TStat failure, that Mr Markward should be held solely accountable/responsible for the replacement of these particular animals (No, I am not arguing the obvious lack of care otherwise. I am just addressing the snakes lost to the TStat failure). Sh*t happens. It happens to those far less experienced than Mr Markward, and it happens (and has happened) to those far more experienced than Mr Markward. Both parties are aware of the risks we all face in the industry and thus must understand that the same could happen to them at any time. For those who would like to argue that this could never happen to them I would ask 2 things. 1st, what is your setup, and 2nd, do you not think that the very, very, big breeders who have lost collections due to accidents did not have a better set up than yours.

For full disclosure, I am relatively new to the industry and would like to make the best of this situation by learning from it. I do not pretend to know everything or even anything more than anyone else but I do think that everyone can benefit by this event in one form or another.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #113
Crawford_Constrictors2013
I think the issue some are having is that it was convenient that the animals that 'died' or went missing were mainly the higher end animals and the nicer animals in Charlene's collection.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #114
charlene.dourty
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwnAnnwn View Post
I have a few quesiton, most of the asked but did not see many answers.

How many animals was in Eddies care? How many did the op give him to care for?

How did an oil heater heat to the point of killing 118 animals?

Does anyone know what tstat was used? I can not imagine a commercial tstat overheating like that. I make my own, they don't and can not do that. But mine don't fail.

I just can not figure out how with best practices this happened.
I do not know for sure how many animals that Eddie had in his care at the time of us dropping our animals off but I do know that his racks were pretty much full.

34.69 Ball pythons left in Eddie's care. 4 boas, a corn, and a hognose as well.

Since I was not there, I do not know the extent of details in how or why the heater killed that many animals. And Im not sure which thermostat he was using. Sorry I can't answer these questions with detail as I can only answer what I know.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #115
Crawford_Constrictors2013
We can't even get any real answers from Eddie except for his Public Relations move type response.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #116
Lucille
Bill,

If I pay you to take care of my critters and a thermostat malfunction kills them, you owe me for my critters. Hopefully you have insurance.

You in turn can sue the company that sold you the thermostat that malfunctioned as long as you were using it correctly, as well as the manufacturer.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #117
John Capurso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford_Constrictors2013 View Post
I think the issue some are having is that it was convenient that the animals that 'died' or went missing were mainly the higher end animals and the nicer animals in Charlene's collection.
BINGO!!!

Old 09-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #118
BillZ
Was he being Paid? Or was the $ sent to be used for the care and feeding of. This type of failure would not fall under "care" Was he providing a service for a fee? I had seem some reference (maybe not here) that he was providing more of a favor than a service. Wouldnt it be the responsibility of the sender to be sure that the receiver was insured for such an incident. Had he claimed he was? My point is that this is not an unknown potential incident. Did the sender do their due diligence prior to sending off their collection. Good luck with suing the TStat company and/or getting your home owners to cover a business loss.

Also, this post and all the posts on FB that I can see state this was a "partnership". Nowhere did I see that Mr Markward was being "paid" to provide a service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Bill,

If I pay you to take care of my critters and a thermostat malfunction kills them, you owe me for my critters. Hopefully you have insurance.

You in turn can sue the company that sold you the thermostat that malfunctioned as long as you were using it correctly, as well as the manufacturer.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #119
BillZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillZ View Post
Was he being Paid? Or was the $ sent to be used for the care and feeding of. This type of failure would not fall under "care" Was he providing a service for a fee? I had seem some reference (maybe not here) that he was providing more of a favor than a service. Wouldnt it be the responsibility of the sender to be sure that the receiver was insured for such an incident. Had he claimed he was? My point is that this is not an unknown potential incident. Did the sender do their due diligence prior to sending off their collection. Good luck with suing the TStat company and/or getting your home owners to cover a business loss.

Also, this post and all the posts on FB that I can see state this was a "partnership". Nowhere did I see that Mr Markward was being "paid" to provide a service.
I should have added that if you and I were "partners" in the plus side of the arrangement then we would also be "partners" in the negative side.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #120
SPJ
Bill,
I believe Eddie was being paid for the food to sustain the animals but not being paid for the care of them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!