Temperature jump - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
Th3HiddenGecko
Temperature jump

I am incubating eggs for female at about 82 degrees. It's been about 3 weeks since they were laid and I was thinking about putting them in my male incubator (which is about 88 degrees) to try and brighten up their color. Is it safe for the eggs to make this jump as long as the temps stay consistant?

Old 04-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
The one and only time I ever tired this incubation method, I had extremely high mortality rates and severe deformities. I have heard the same from other breeders, too.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Rick007
i did this with an Albino that hatched a few weeks ago. The color is brighter and the head is a real deep orange, but.....when you watch it you know something is wrong. Not to sound harsh here but it's like looking a person or animal and you just know something is wrong with them. I will never do this again.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
Th3HiddenGecko
Ok thanks Marcia and Rick. You two probably just saved my first two hatchlings. Now i know the outcome and will never do this. Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
Steve I have an extra hovabator I was about to put on auction, if you need a 2nd one for males, just PM me. I would not risk it either, some have had good luck but the ones that have not are enough for me to not risk any eggs on the temp raising.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
Gregg M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3HiddenGecko
I am incubating eggs for female at about 82 degrees. It's been about 3 weeks since they were laid and I was thinking about putting them in my male incubator (which is about 88 degrees) to try and brighten up their color. Is it safe for the eggs to make this jump as long as the temps stay consistant?
This is a pretty bad idea Steve..... Not only does it put hatchling health at risk as mentioned, it also misrepresents and falsifies the leos genetic quality..... Glad to see you are not opting to go this route

Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
Th3HiddenGecko
I read this in Trempers book but I don't remember him saying anything about side effects. The temperature jump just didn't seem right to me so far into the incubation period and that's why I just had to ask. Thanks for the replies.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
KelliH
What I do for my female Tremper Albino eggs is incubate them at 86. Some of these will obviously end up being male, so I just incubate less eggs from the female for male. It seems at 86 the babies will hatch bright, so there is really no need to use the Tremper Method. IMO.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
I read this in Trempers book but I don't remember him saying anything about side effects.
One of the things that makes Tremper who he is, is that you will NEVER hear him say anything about side effects! LOL!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!