Feeding wildflowers / plants, safe? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-16-2005, 06:44 PM   #11
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinwl
I've got a red hibiscus They seem to be hot and cold about it; sometimes they eat it sometimes they don't. I'm kind of considering buying a yellow one. My chucks seem to be most attracted to lavender and yellow flowers. I guess this makes sense, since I've seen very few red flowers in the desert areas I've visited. But, I wonder, are there lots of red flowers in uro habitat? As a rule, my chucks seem to favor pastel colored blooms, for example, they favor yellow pansies to the dark purple and dark red ones. Do you observe the same thing with your uros?

-Alice
I live IN the desert and can find a abundant amount of chucks less than 5 miles from my house. There are only several native plants that they will eat one of them being several types of cactus flowers which there are alot of that are red. The fruit from prickly pear which they eat also tends to be a bit red also. Majority of the native the flowering plants tend to be a darker yet vibrant yellow however I am unsure as to their toxicity... other plants you can try with them are Cape Honeysuckle and Yellow Bells which are Tecoma or also seen as Tehoma species.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #12
aliceinwl
I'll have to give the Tecoma's a try I didn't think about cactus flowers in my last post. There are very few if any cacti in the area I caught Gracie. Most of the ephemerals are yellow flowering asters, so maybe what I'm seeing is her personal pereference based on what she grew up with. Rigel is a bit more adventurous, but he's a "dumb cb" so I like to make really sure that the plants I put in for them are safe. He also seems to follow Gracie's lead.

What native plants have you seen the chucks by you eating?

-Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!