Chuckwallas anyone? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-2005, 01:01 AM   #1
aliceinwl
Chuckwallas anyone?

I don't have any uros but I enjoy reading about them so that I'll be ready when space and time permit...

I do have a pair of chuckwallas (both girls). They're kind of like the American uro Any other chuck keepers out there?

Gracie, the chuck on the right is a wc from Mojave. The baby (she still needs a name, I'm about 99% sure she's a she now and I didn't want to name her until I was sure) is a cb redback.

-Alice
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
mycurlylocks
Those guys look neat! Now you have my curiosity up! Guess I will have to read up on chuckwallas.
(See what you started!)
Candy

Old 03-07-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
aliceinwl
If you do decide to get one, they're lots of fun. Cb's are well worth the price. After 7 months, I'm finally comfortable saying my wc is acclimated. She still runs if I make any move toward her in the cage. My cb chuck on the other hand, will readily eat from my hand and sometimes even jumps on my hand and runs up my arm to sit on my shoulder

-Alice

Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #4
robin d.
gus @ rio bravo reptiles keeps and breeds chuckwallas. they look pretty neat.. i personally have never seen one in person before

Old 05-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin s.
gus @ rio bravo reptiles keeps and breeds chuckwallas. they look pretty neat.. i personally have never seen one in person before
WHHAATTT??? Ah man, you should seriously check out the chucks Robin! They are very cool reptiles. I have tried to snag a few in the wild and they are SO fast! I have come close a few times but they wedged themselves between rocks than inhaled... they are like insulation foam! You basically can't budge them when they wedge themselves between rocks. I am not sure of you are able to get them where you are but check out San Esteban Chucks, I think they are the best!

Old 05-15-2005, 11:55 PM   #6
sircat
very cool...I have them in mind, like many animals lol, for the future...I like their authenticity...I know it will be a long while before I can add more lizards other than the hatchlings my geckos have lol

Old 05-30-2005, 03:36 AM   #7
vermithrax
Those look very nice. Im thinking of getting a uromastyx but I am unsure of the species. How are these ones as far as care and tank size etc?

Old 05-30-2005, 04:34 AM   #8
aliceinwl
CB's are fairly easy, WC's can be very hard. You'll pay a lot more for a CB, but if you want a friendly, healthy chuck who will readily adapt to captivity, CB's are worth the price and the hunt.

I've commonly seen 60 gallons listed as the minimum tank size for a single individual. They are very active lizards. I've got my guys in a 100 gallon and they use every inch. In the wild, they live on rocky hill sides, and elude predators by darting into rocky crevices and inflating their bodies. They really appreciate secure hides composed of rocks they can sandwich themselves between. Just make sure the rocks can't shift and crush them. They're real creatures of habit. My two each have certain rocks that they sleep under every night. They like to do a lot of climbing, my guys really like their big grape vine and the big cork bark tube I have leading up to their elevated basking site.

They need lots of UV like uros and high basking temperatures. The surface temps at the hot basking site in my guys' tank is around 120 and is created by a 100 watt flood mecury vapor. I've also got regular 100 & 50 watt spots that create other basking sites ranging from the 90's to low 100's. Air temps on the hot end are in the 90's and on the cool end they're in the high 70's to 80's. They don't need get any heat at night so the temp drops to room temperature usually low 70's. Both, however, have selected sleeping spots under rocks on the warm side. These rocks absorb heat from the basking lights and stay warm long after the lights go out.

I use sand as a substrate. They don't require water and most are complete vegetarians. Some juvies, however, really like their insects too. In terms of food, you can fed them pretty much the same mix of greens as uros. Brightly colored edible flowers, however, are a big favorite.

-Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!