How long to settle down? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 03:34 AM   #1
omni
How long to settle down?

I don't have a boid yet, but trying to get an idea how challenging a hatchling Diamond or IJ will be to raise into a decently peaceful (handleable) adult.
Will a youngster take a couple years, or just a matter of months to become a tame animal? Can either of these ever be considered 'docile'?
One other Q, does feeding F/T or live have any bearing on a boid's temperament, or just a matter of convenience/safety for the animal?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
omni
Well, to answer my own Q, after a good bit of reading up and talking with a local hobbyist:
Not all pythons will turn out like you want them to. Most, if not all can grow to some tolerance of handling, but you should always respect any carnivore as they can have good/bad days just like a person. There may be days when they just don't want to be disturbed, and if you don't respect them they will let you know; i.e. you could get bitten if not careful everytime you attempt handling.
I was advised to not let this dissuade me from purchasing any python hatchling, but every snake is an individual and there is no way that docility can be predicted in a hatchling.
As it turns out, a Pet Supplies Plus near me has a few young BP's that are pretty calm(I found out that balls generally are easy going) @ $60. Kinda high I thought being just normal BP's, but they are cute and I'd avoid shipping or gas to the Cleve. reptile show.
So after the holidays I think I'll pick my first python from the balls they have and just drool over pics people post of their carpets for now.

Actually 100 ppl have did me a favor by not spoonfeeding me an answer. I'm better for it, learning on my own and growing in the process. I hope this helps anyone that had similiar Q's.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
reddog4063
This is the first I am seeing this thread, Paul. Do you have any experience with reptiles in general or snakes in particular? Carpet pythons (or Diamonds) don't have a particularly nasty disposition. I think your main concern would be keeping heat and humidity at their proper levels and providing some climbing areas. With certain species I would recommend a certain amount of experience with husbandry and handling experience (i.e. green tree, retics...) but I see no reason why someone who's read up on their facts can't get right into this species. You can also get bitten by a ball python...don't forget that. I would start with a specimen a few months old and work on a regular handling schedule with them.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
omni
Hi, Joseph.. thanks for replying.
My only experience in reptiles is about 9 years with corn snakes and I've had a large green iguana and 2 baby savannah monitors that we kept for a few mos. Mostly have been into "furry animals" but this year I've taken on a collection of handleable tarantulas, and am raising Silkie chickens, and have been nipped by everything we owned (except the spiders so far lol) so I'm used to getting bit, but still nervous with care of any new critters I get. Also worried about exposing family to a new species when I myself have little or no experience with.
The python I decide on would be housed in the front room as a display animal, where a lot of traffic goes by. Maybe I'm being paranoid about snakes, but I have to be sure a larger reptile than we've ever had will be manageable by anyone that would come into contact with it. This would include my 5 yr old neice.
Like if a tank lid or cage is left open, anyone could scoop the animal up and not worry about a cat or one of our Boston's becoming supper .
So carpets would be the prettiest snake I think that doesn't get too big or strong, and I've handled a couple 4footer balls, but petstore BP's see lots of ppl everyday vs. buying a carpet from a secluded habitat that might've been handled by only one person. My fam can only get their confidence in an animal I get thru me being confident in it's care and handling.
I hope ppl see where I'm coming from, that I just don't want to make any mistakes and not be in over my head choosing a python that could grow to 10' or more or be large enough to eat a small dog or cat someday...

Hope this explains why I do ask some of these questions.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
hhmoore
Paul,
It really depends on what you want in a snake.
Carpets, as a group, tend to be nippy out of the egg, but typically settle down nicely within a few months. They are generally much more forgiving of mild husbandry fluctuations, and are fairly tolerant of temperature changes. Ball pythons, on the other hand, typically start out withdrawing from human interaction...though some do bite. Both can develop feeding responses, and both can respond differently to different people/situations. By the same token, both can (and usually do) adapt well to handling and make very good pets.
You mentioned that the snake would be something of a "display animal"...you might want to also consider the habits of the animal and the style of cage you would like to see in that area. I have both carpets and BPs, and the choice is an obvious one for me...but it isn't my front room that it would be decorating, lol.

(My apologies for not responding sooner - I remember seeing your first post, and planned on coming back to it...but, apparently, it slipped my mind. I don't recall getting the notifications of the other posts, though )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!