Deadly Snakes Legally Sold Near Philly - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Payara
Deadly Snakes Legally Sold Near Philly

Deadly Snakes Legally Sold Near Philly

You won't believe what you are able to buy legally in Pennsylvania: Snakes that can kill you within minutes if you don't handle them safely.

Slideshow: Deadly Snakes For Sale Near Philly

Fox 29’s Steve Keeley made an exotic buy in the Philadelphia suburbs last weekend and survived it in this Fox 29 investigates report.

"We live in a time when everybody wants an animal with the biggest, baddest bite on the block. A lot of people have pitbulls, others have rotweillers,” Keeley says. “I just got myself an Egyptian Cobra, $125. Perfectly legal and no questions asked right here in Pennsylvania.”

We brought our undercover camera to a reptile show at the Philadelphia Expo Center near the King Of Prussia Mall last weekend. We wanted to see just how easy it would be to buy one of these dangerous snakes.

We saw hundreds of people at the show, dozens hovering over the venomous snake tables, some buying, some browsing.

We bought our cobra from a Florida breeder and importer. It only took a few minutes and 125 bucks.

The snake came coiled-up in this flimsy plastic container. It seemed better suited for an apple pie than a deadly snake.

The sale was completely legal. Pennsylvania, unlike New Jersey and Delaware, has no laws regulating the sale and possession of exotic venomous snakes.

It's one of 24 states where you can buy the world's most dangerous snakes without a permit. About a dozen states restrict sales.

We talked to the buyers, sellers, and shoppers here and found some surprised their kids could get this close to a killer snake. There's no safety glass like at the zoo. And kids will be kids.

Vipers, cobras, rattlesnakes were all for sale, but they don't come with directions or anti-venom serum to save you if you get bit.

Our Egyptian Cobra is among the most deadliest and aggressive snakes: it's bite can kill a full grown elephant in less than three hours, and an average man in a matter of minutes.

"I don't recommend anybody buying a venomous animal, personally," Dr. La'toya Latney says.

Latney is an exotic pet vet at Penn’s School Of Veterinary Medicine and says something this deadly should never be bought on impulse.

These snakes weren't evolved to be house pets.

"For those who are going to consider to do it, although my recommendation is not to do it, be aware of the type of snake it is in the world so you know what you're dealing with in captivity, and then have a plan for an accidental bite."

And since these snakes are not native to this area or even this country, chances are the local hospital you may be rushed to after a bite won't have any of that anti-venom serum either.

Is the danger real? Just listen to the guy who sold us the cobra.

"You have these holes in the sides. And a lot of people, which i like to warn them, like the kids who like to up and touch them, these guys can sense heat and there have been people who have been tagged through these holes."

If you're wondering what we did with our new pet, we just handed it back to the sellers and never asked for our money back.

And we made sure we didn't lose track of it like the Bronx Zoo did with another Egyptian Cobra in March.

So if experts have trouble sometimes handling these the question is: Should just anybody be allowed to buy one?

For now in Pennsylvania, unless lawmakers do something, the answer is Yes.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Payara
I believe the seller is Glades Herps.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
the gecko geek
I like the idea of random idiots impulse buying a venomous snake...It's like population control..Let em buy the venomous snakes! All the stupid people will get bit, probably die, and that's one less irresponsible reptile owner out there...some people will think it's a bad thing to say, but it's no different than someone buying a pitbull...I personally don't think pitbull's are bad dogs. Bad dogs aren't born, they're made. I can take you to 20 people who have pitbull's that are no worse than a lab or retriever...

It comes down the the RESPONSIBILITY of the buyer. If they know what they are getting themselves into going into it, then good for them, if not, then best of luck to you. What I'm getting sick and tired of with the media, is that they place the responsibility on the seller, not the buyer.
If you go to a car dealership and buy a car that you have read reviews about and have heard multiple bad things about, is it the dealership's fault for selling you the car, or is it yours for buying it?

It's

Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Payara
Quote:
Originally Posted by the gecko geek View Post
I like the idea of random idiots impulse buying a venomous snake...It's like population control..Let em buy the venomous snakes! All the stupid people will get bit, probably die, and that's one less irresponsible reptile owner out there...some people will think it's a bad thing to say, but it's no different than someone buying a pitbull...I personally don't think pitbull's are bad dogs. Bad dogs aren't born, they're made. I can take you to 20 people who have pitbull's that are no worse than a lab or retriever...
That's going to endanger our hobby. It's going to cause an uprise in control and regulation, imagine what would happen if some idiot gets bitten or worse a bystander or visitor. The video on the link was already dramatized to the nth degree, imagine what they would do if some idiot gets bit.

Quote:
It comes down the the RESPONSIBILITY of the buyer. If they know what they are getting themselves into going into it, then good for them, if not, then best of luck to you. What I'm getting sick and tired of with the media, is that they place the responsibility on the seller, not the buyer.
If you go to a car dealership and buy a car that you have read reviews about and have heard multiple bad things about, is it the dealership's fault for selling you the car, or is it yours for buying it?

It's
I think it's a 2 way street hobbists need to research and know their limits while stores and mertchants need to be more vigiliant and caustious on who they sell it to.

The dealer would be responsible if he/she sells you a car that was dangerous to the buyer. In end, a car never kills anyone.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
the gecko geek
I get your point Koshy, but it really is the responsibility of the buyer..There is common sense that some sellers have, like not selling something to someone that doesn't look or sound like they know how to properly care for an animal..but that's not the point here.

And when you made the comment, "In end, a car never kills anyone." you proved my point exactly. The dealer isn't at fault because you didn't do your research..I can understand if it's a mass recall but I'm talking about small things that could be avoided by buying a different car.

It's not the snake's fault that it is doing what it's instincts are..If you don't have any respect (some call it fear) for the animal, you WILL get bit. It's just a matter of time. It's all up to the buyer in this aspect..

Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #6
HerpVenue
They can't take care of crime. I guess they want to focus on something "easier".

Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
ajandtc
you know a gun can accidentally "bite" you also. just ask my 9 fingered cousin who was just loading a shot gun.should they take the right to buy them? the day these people win and regulate any hobby to the point of no return, they'll just move on to the next one. "dangerous" animals are like anything else that can injure or take a life, the only difference is there is a greater fear. not too many people fear cars, yet any idiot can get in one of those drunk and take out an entire family. yes, cars and guns(to a point) might be regulated more than "dangerous" animals, but they are also a million times more commonly owned. don't get me wrong, i've seen plenty of morons buying a rattlesnake or cobra with undoubtedly no experience, but i see idiots everyday driving down the road reading the paper or texting....i fear them way more!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
dustinNMpythons
This maybe a stupid but I was cracking up when he said 24 states allow sells on venomous snakes and about 12 restrict sales........SO WE NOW HAVE 36 STATES!!! All in all I don't like the idea of "hots" I think it gives the crooked lawmakers more pull in banning snakes in general. It plays on that fear tactic which works on most people in America.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
Payara
Quote:
I get your point Koshy, but it really is the responsibility of the buyer..There is common sense that some sellers have, like not selling something to someone that doesn't look or sound like they know how to properly care for an animal..but that's not the point here.

And when you made the comment, "In end, a car never kills anyone." you proved my point exactly. The dealer isn't at fault because you didn't do your research..I can understand if it's a mass recall but I'm talking about small things that could be avoided by buying a different car.

It's not the snake's fault that it is doing what it's instincts are..If you don't have any respect (some call it fear) for the animal, you WILL get bit. It's just a matter of time. It's all up to the buyer in this aspect..
I completely agree with you that people need to research the animal they plan on getting depending on if it's python or rattlesnake. But I think it's a joint effort between hobbyist and merchants. Both parties need to their part. I personally don't like Glades Reptiles so I might be a lil biased. Just my .02 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinNMpythons View Post
This maybe a stupid but I was cracking up when he said 24 states allow sells on venomous snakes and about 12 restrict sales........SO WE NOW HAVE 36 STATES!!! All in all I don't like the idea of "hots" I think it gives the crooked lawmakers more pull in banning snakes in general. It plays on that fear tactic which works on most people in America.
The other states to my knowledge prohibit sale of venomous snakes. I think venomous snakes are not for everyone. Just like reticulated pythons are not for all. You need to know your limits. But I do think their needs to be measures in order to provide regulation for the sale and ownership of hot snakes. Banning is not an option.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
rsellers44
Stop! thread searching pays off

Sooo i get to meet some of the holier than thou folks who feel that they must be smarter and make desions for other people/states. Reptile regulations are about money, not safety. Who are you to decide were unsafe? Its people like you that are willing to give up/take away freedoms, for the name of 'public safety' sure they sell venomous unregulated here, but its our decision to buy them and we take the risk of all outcome KNOWINGLY! So stfu and mind your buisness. Just my. 02.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!