Can shipping FedEx "ground" be more safe in certain instances? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
The BoidSmith
Can shipping FedEx "ground" be more safe in certain instances?

We know that everytime we ship FedEx overnight our shipment goes airlines to a central hub to be classified and reshipped from there (Memphis?). In my case the best time elapsed from drop off to destination has been 16 hours, even if the destination is only an 8-hour drive away. My question is this, what happens to ground packages? If we deliver a package ground to a reasonably close destination (let's say 8 hours away) will it also go to a central hub and then get re-distributed? Or does it leave right away to the area where delivery is going to be? Will the transit time be shorter thus decreasing the risk to the animal(s)? Anyone has any inside knowledge on how this works?

Thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
hhmoore
I don't know the answer to that, Dan...but not all Overnight packages are sent through Memphis. I don't know what guidelines are used, but I've noted it on a number of shipments over the past few years.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
ravensgait
Dan, your best bet is to ask FedEx about it.. I know that depending on where your shipping to some times the package can be there next day but at the regular time the driver gets to you. I've had rodents shipped to me ground a number of times but they arrive in the afternoon. Also had someone ship me an animal ground(didn't know they were) and it arrived next day but in the afternoon. Randy

Old 01-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
KathyLove
I sent an overnight express FedEx box from Ft. Myers to Orlando the other day (about a 3 hour or so drive). I dropped it off at FedEx and asked them if it had to go to Memphis. They said yes, only the packages going to the Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area would avoid Memphis. But when I looked at the online tracking the next morning, the package did not go to Memphis. It was still in Ft. Myers late at night, but in Orlando a little after 7 a.m. So I don't know what method they used, or the route, but obviously the people working at FedEx do not have the correct info. However they got it there, it was on time and in good condition.

This may not have a direct bearing on your question, but it does illustrate that you can't always count on correct info from them.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Yes, probably if one would drop it late in the afternoon it might not gain a lot in time by sending it ground. Worse yet, the package might overnight in a van somewhere.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
northstarboasandmore
I UPS a package paying for ground and it made it to the person the next day in the afternoon...but that was also only an hour away from me..figured gas would be more than just shipping it..But it was not a reptile..just a fish finder..so depends on how close it is. always check the website on the cost est.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Amspoet67
If you send the package ground you run the risk of the package being put off to the side somewhere. Just because it is at the destination Station quickly doesn't necessarily mean they will deliver it early. If they are not required to get the package there for three or four days they may take their time.

Anna
www.homegrownherps.com
www.flickr.com/amspoet67

Old 02-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amspoet67
If you send the package ground you run the risk of the package being put off to the side somewhere. Just because it is at the destination Station quickly doesn't necessarily mean they will deliver it early. If they are not required to get the package there for three or four days they may take their time.

Anna
www.homegrownherps.com
www.flickr.com/amspoet67
Thanks Anna, I figured that might be the case. Maybe they even leave the truck parked overnight somewhere!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!