question about possible traits - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
kdog0990
question about possible traits

I am going to be buying this snake soon but would like to know what possible traits this snake may possess. these are pictures of the underside, and tail to hopefully id the traits.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Metachrosis
Hard to tell what "type" based on those pics
Looks like a boa though . . . .

Old 04-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Looks like normal Boa traits to me.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
are you being told that boa is a het for something? Boas don't typically have 'markers' like BPs, so I'm not sure what you want us to look for. Looks like a normal boa to me as well.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
kdog0990
Yea I have been told that it is het for Albino reason I ask is my other 3 boas look nothing like this with the darkness the snakes tail is almost black as shown in the pic and have never seen that before in a boa.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Yeah, you're initial question didn't lead to that conclusion for me.

Some Boas just have more black that comes in with age. Adult colors tend to be a bit darker, and can mask underlying colors like pinks or reds and yellows.

As for the het albino part, there just is no way of knowing for sure. Recessive traits don't tend to make their presence known until paired with the right animals.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
Brown tails and darker/overlaid black tails are actually pretty common, yours has a lot of black speckling so it would make sense the tail was darker.

Rich covered it as far as albino goes, it's a recessive trait which means the snake will look normal but carry the 'hidden gene'.

The only possible marker I have ever heard of is the 'light bulb' eye, where the top of the eye is much much lighter than the skin's base color around it, it's most noticable when young and when compared to siblings. Jeff Ronne posted about this some years ago on the KS forum.

Here, I found a post from Jeff in 2001 on another site that discusses this:
http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/bre...t-litters.html

However, I've produced 100% hets that don't have this 'lightbulb' look and seen some non-hets that would appear to have it, so I would not personally consider it a verified marker. With boa hets, you just have to trust the source where you are getting it from

Good luck!
-April

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!