My 08/09 breeding season - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
hhmoore
My 08/09 breeding season

I've messed around with trying some different things the last couple seasons, and it hasn't worked out very well for me. As a result, I'm going back to what I know...and hoping I don't mix recipes, lol.

I won't be breeding a lot of pythons this year, but it will (hopefully) be my first year producing bloods. I did modify my approach slightly for these guys - mainly because I didn't want to subject them to the temperatures I have used in the past with other pythons. I started cooling them a little later than I planned but, after the ice storm and the associated temp drop, I decided to put them together last night. Of the 3 pairs introduced, 2 were copulating when I got home from work this morning...and the other male was courting pretty heavily. Here's to a (hopefully) good start with bloods.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
hhmoore
(I'll post a better pic of the reds later...I had disturbed them more than I wanted to already)

Old 12-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
norsmis
Good luck Harald! Those are some awesome looking animals!!!
Out of curiosity, what do you drop the temps to on these guys?

Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Bill & Amy
Nice looking animals Harald!!!!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
deborahbroadus
Sweet!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsmis View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you drop the temps to on these guys?
Ron - I don't like messing with day/night temp cycling unless I feel it is absolutely necessary. Generally, I just cut the heat, and let the temps go where they will (by the time I start cycling pythons, I have the house heat on...temps generally range 68-72 depending on location of the cage/tub. I do this for 4 -6 weeks prior to introductions.
I didn't want to let the bloods sit that low, so I lowered the room temp to 78 and killed the cage heat (I positioned the males so they ended up ranging from around 72-75, females stayed closer to 78). With the loss of power associated with the storm, temps in that room drifted down to, and were maintained at, a low of 63-65. Whether that works or not....well, I'll add egg pics in a couple months, if it does.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
JoelT1975
Best of luck with those. I really like the reds.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
norsmis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Ron - I don't like messing with day/night temp cycling unless I feel it is absolutely necessary. Generally, I just cut the heat, and let the temps go where they will (by the time I start cycling pythons, I have the house heat on...temps generally range 68-72 depending on location of the cage/tub. I do this for 4 -6 weeks prior to introductions.
I didn't want to let the bloods sit that low, so I lowered the room temp to 78 and killed the cage heat (I positioned the males so they ended up ranging from around 72-75, females stayed closer to 78). With the loss of power associated with the storm, temps in that room drifted down to, and were maintained at, a low of 63-65. Whether that works or not....well, I'll add egg pics in a couple months, if it does.
Thanks for the info Harald. I dont have a whole lot of experience with pythons so I thought I would ask!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:56 AM   #9
hhmoore
fresh pics

Just a couple new shots of the reds. The yellows are still going strong, and the other pair has been copulating occasionally, but never when I felt like grabbing the camera...and they seem to object to my presence, so I've been leaving them alone.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Jasin
Hi Harald,
Very nice pair of reds you have there!!!! What size vision tub are you breeding them in?? How old are they??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!