About the BOI and it's future here... - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #61
TripleMoonsExotic
Rich already owns a BOI only site (BoardOfInquiry.com). He has also stated he has no plans to sell it at this point. The choices were close it all down or members step up and provide monetary support to back it up.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #62
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Rich already owns a BOI only site (BoardOfInquiry.com). He has also stated he has no plans to sell it at this point. The choices were close it all down or members step up and provide monetary support to back it up.
Oh, BoardOfInquiry.com is going to go away, regardless. It never went anywhere, and I haven't even been to it myself for quite a while now. And then it was to just clean up all the spam in there. But would you believe that I got threatened with a lawsuit over something posted THERE as well? Sheesh...

You know, I'm about ready to take on a lawsuit just to show people what their threats can earn them in court. I believe they can be construed as a TERRORISTIC THREAT, and possibly treated as such legally. I'll have to check with my attorney about that aspect. With all the sensitivity these days over terrorism, perhaps these people throwing around legal threats are actually violating the law in so doing. One thing I will have when I retire is LOTS of time to pursue things like this, and truth be know, I actually find the legal field quite fascinating. After all, most of what an attorney does is to just try to interpret the law, and actually anyone can do that if they put enough time and effort into the research.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #63
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedusaCoils View Post
Too bad you couldn't put one of those little thermometers on the site. Like the ones that libraries use, when they are doing a fund raiser. As they get closer and closer to their $$ goal, it gets filled in. It doesn't have to have any numbers on it, if that was something you are worried about. It would give us something to shoot for, a goal anyway?!?! Right now, we are just shooting into the dark and/or we have to keep buggin you for numbers and you have enough headaches, as is.

Just a thought,

Wayne
The thing is, a very large portion of the membership seems to be unaware that this is taking place...or simply doesn't care.
What purpose would such an indicator serve, other than to allow those of us that do care to breathe a sigh of relief if the magic number is reached. Some people are going to contribute. Some may sit and watch, thinking that if the goal is not reached they will jump in before the close...but more likely will somehow forget to take that step. Some will probably watch, rooting for the demise of the BOI.
Why promote a bare minimum mentality? The BOI is a great tool. What's wrong with people supporting it because they use it...without regard for whether some arbitrary number is reached? And really, what Rich has been talking about is a minimum number. Would it be bad to have 30 more people contribute...or 300? The more the better, IMO. Unfortunately, as things have been outlined, it doesn't sound like after the fact support will help keep the BOI open once it shifts to contributor access only. I understand Rich's logic - after all, he's got his life to consider, and he HAS tried the paid access thing before.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #64
MedusaCoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The thing is, a very large portion of the membership seems to be unaware that this is taking place...or simply doesn't care.
What purpose would such an indicator serve, other than to allow those of us that do care to breathe a sigh of relief if the magic number is reached. Some people are going to contribute. Some may sit and watch, thinking that if the goal is not reached they will jump in before the close...but more likely will somehow forget to take that step. Some will probably watch, rooting for the demise of the BOI.
Why promote a bare minimum mentality? The BOI is a great tool. What's wrong with people supporting it because they use it...without regard for whether some arbitrary number is reached? And really, what Rich has been talking about is a minimum number. Would it be bad to have 30 more people contribute...or 300? The more the better, IMO. Unfortunately, as things have been outlined, it doesn't sound like after the fact support will help keep the BOI open once it shifts to contributor access only. I understand Rich's logic - after all, he's got his life to consider, and he HAS tried the paid access thing before.
What if I start mass PM'ing people that are members of this forum and letting them know what is going on?
Actually, that may not be a good idea. It would probably be a violation of the site TOS. Namely the part about spamming and you would ban me! Or would you? I mean, it's for a good cause and all!

I'm going to have to think about this!

Wayne

Old 08-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #65
Shadera
But that does bring up a good idea. How about a mass email for the users of the forum, outlining the story and what's going on/will be done. Since there are so many who are saying they had no idea, and so many more never come to any section of the site where things like this are posted, is it worth a shot?

Old 08-11-2009, 01:14 AM   #66
WebSlave
Well actually I can do a mass email from this site. But I try not to do that very often. You wouldn't believe the number of bounced emails I get from abandoned email accounts that people use to register here. And my server tech guy warned me about doing such things as they can trigger spam blockers as well.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #67
hhmoore
A mass PM would avoid that issue. That said, I hate getting those things.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #68
MedusaCoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagickalMorphs View Post
But that does bring up a good idea. How about a mass email for the users of the forum, outlining the story and what's going on/will be done. Since there are so many who are saying they had no idea, and so many more never come to any section of the site where things like this are posted, is it worth a shot?
OMG! I finally inspired an idea and it "might" be a good one. I have to settle down, before this one swells my head!

Wayne

Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #69
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
A mass PM would avoid that issue. That said, I hate getting those things.
Actually I don't believe this system has the capability of a mass PM. Even if it did, most people have their user cp set to send them an email notice upon receipt of a PM, so I would STILL get flooded with those bounce back emails.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:56 AM   #70
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Actually I don't believe this system has the capability of a mass PM. Even if it did, most people have their user cp set to send them an email notice upon receipt of a PM, so I would STILL get flooded with those bounce back emails.
Could you utilize the member list and then the last visit option? That way you could go back a month or two and those people would be the folks that have used the site and may actually want to do something about it. Chances are you'd have much less bounced back e-mails too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!