How do you know when a beardie is gravid?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-19-2004, 07:45 PM   #1
Pantasia
How do you know when a beardie is gravid??

How can you tell if a beardie is gravid? I have a couple of females that are getting very rotund.. They are housed with a male and I did catch him with one of the females several weeks ago.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
Glenn Bartley
I have heard it said that when near ready to lay the eggs, you can feel them inside the female somewhat like a bag full of marbles (but softer of course so don't squeeze them). I can only hope my pair will breed this year, if they have not already. If the female starts digging in the substrate a lot, it is probably very near time for her to lay and she should be provided a nest box in which there is enough sand to dig into to lay her eggs. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2004, 12:40 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
In the later stages you can often see the eggs as the stomach will take on a very lumpy appearance. This is not always the case, such as with females who are somewhat heavy or are carrying a small clutch.
As Glen mentioned, digging is a good indicator. A female nearing time to lay will begin digging around in the corners of the cage, and be generally restless.
A laying box is very important or you risk egg binding. If you are never really sure whether she is gravid or not, I'd put a box in with her just to be safe.
I usually used something like a larger rubbermaid tub that was around 12" deep. I normally just used dampened soil, but sand would be fine too.
The female will excavate a burrow large enough to get her whole body into so choose a container of appropriate size.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:08 AM   #4
Pantasia
Wink Thanks for the replies:)

Well I have noticed that they seem to put on weight.. but I do not feel any eggs in the belly.. belly does seem to be swollen. They are not very active right now at all they seem to be lying around. I guess we shall see what happens. Thanks again for the response.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!