I think one of our babies is impacted-help... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
pogonadragon
Exclamation I think one of our babies is impacted-help...

Well, so far we have been doing:

multiple warm water soaks
olive oil
gatorade
tummy rubs
no crickets
we're trying uth with an overhead heat lamp right now...

Is there anything else we can do at home today to try? I'm at the point where I wonder if a stool softener wouldn't be beneficial?

She has a hard mass in her tummy and is lethargic. None of her legs are paralyzed. She did regurgitate a little earlier. She is starting to seem really down. Her tummy is also looking "like the goodyear blimp" as my husband said...

Old 10-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
pogonadragon
Ok, his tummy is getting bigger... I'm starting to get pretty worried. He just sits there with his eyes closed. I can't stand this. I'm worried about him. If anyone can help it would be appreciated!

Old 10-03-2005, 01:57 AM   #3
Karen Hulvey
I would try soaking him for a longer period of time, say an hour or more. Make sure the water is warm, around 85-90°. If he does not pass this very soon, like tonight, he needs to see a vet ASAP.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Reptileking636
I agree with Karen, how is the baby doing now?

Old 10-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
CheriS
I've been talking with her on another site and they said the baby's tummy was down some and also it is passing some urates, so fluids are going through. His color is good she says.

She has been advised to take him to a vet for an enema, but finding vets that know reptiles, especially one willing to take a tiny lizard patient that is impacted will be hard.

Few vets know how to do enemas on lizards. Once good thing, with it passing some urates, we know it is moving somethings through or down and since the baby is not paralyzed, that is promising that the impaction is out of the stomach, and dow a ways into the intestines... which makes it much easier to get out and also to do enema's that work

Old 10-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Reptileking636
thats great, glad to hear it!

Old 10-05-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
pogonadragon
Sorry I didn't post an update yesterday (we had THREE spiders in a box of crickets that escaped so I had a panic attack and took my son to my inlaws until hubby got home...) anyways, peanut (the beardie) is still passing the urates. He is not bloated (I really wonder if the olive oil did it since he hasn't gotten any for a couple days and hasn't been bloated? Anyway, I am going to have to call the vet I think. His stomach has a really hard, large mass in it, and for his tiny size (he is the runt of the clutch) the mass feels awfully big. We have been trying a prescription calcium twice daily and daily soaks/tummy rubs along with off and on diluted fruit baby food (my husband doesn't know if food is a good idea since peanut can't go)... along with the heat lamp/uvb... I hope our vet can help!

Also, I REALLY appreciate everyone's help! And Cheri, thank you for your help, I really do appreciate it!

-Angelica

Old 10-05-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
pogonadragon
I called our vet who I really feel is sufficient and knowledgable. However, I did ask what are the treatment options for impaction. She said that PROBABLY they could not do an enema... I'm wondering if you all think I should look around to find a vet who will or go with my vet.
Peanut is about 6-7" long, and is about 8 weeks old. The girl from the vet said they could try fluids and if that didn't work do surgery. That makes me nervous not to mention I don't know how expensive that would be!
What do you all think? Thank you!

Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
pogonadragon
And just now I gave him a warm soak with belly rub and he threw up... only this time it wasn't just a little water, it had to have been food... is it bad or good that he threw up food?

Old 10-05-2005, 08:06 PM   #10
Karen Hulvey
Throwing up could be a sign he is impacted. The food can't go down so it comes up. That's just guessing, however. A vet visit is really needed in this case.

Good luck w/him and keep us updated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!