Damaged Mice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
dave84
Question Damaged Mice

How safe is it to feed a "sick" mouse to a snake? By sick I mean I have no idea whats wrong with the mice but I do know they are not well.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #2
HerpAddict
I'm no snake person, but my common sense says that you shouldn't feed a snake something that isn't healthy. If you don't know what's wrong with it, it could have some form of parasite or something that it could pass on to your snake. I only feed my animals the best quality feeders, to keep my guys happy, healthy, and in tip-top shape!

I hope this helps, it's just my humble opinion!

Old 06-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
dave84
I try to breed my own mice but the snakes eat them faster than the breeder mice can make them. The only place around with halfway decent mice (didn't die or eat each other on the way home YET) is Bensons Pet Center, PetCo is why I'm asking the question, and I'm not allowed in PetSmart.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
dave84
Stop! whoa

My female just got out somehow I caught her when she was crawling over my feet right after my last post. My naughty little escape artist. Well I'm gonna put her back and see if (hope) she shows me how she did it.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:01 AM   #5
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I would not feed out a mouse I did not know what was wrong with it.

That said~ I feed off sick mice/rats all the time. I breed my own mice and rats. I feed out anything that coughs or sneezes excessively. Might be a new strain of myco, or just a cold. Either way I want it out of my colony and it is not contagious to my snakes.

I feed off "sickly" looking pups that have not competed well for a nipple from the momma rats/mice. Might be a bit skinny~ but better snake food than trash fodder.

I feed off mice with tumors (not rats, they are too big by the time anything like the develops)~ never had a problem with it. I freeze off the rats for a friends boa's.

I feed off sickly looking old mice (and freeze the rats) when they have bred out and are no longer producing. Probably not the highest quality meal of the year for the snake that gets it~ but again, better snake food than trash fodder.

I would NOT feed off a mouse/rat that I did not KNOW why it was sick. If it's not your stock, or from a reliable source that can tell you what is wrong with the rodent and that it is not transmitable to your snake~ don't feed it out.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:17 AM   #6
DAND
Very simple...

You are what you eat.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:16 AM   #7
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
You are what you eat.
So I am chopped liver?

Seriously, David is right. That's why serious herpers who raise their own feeders tend to use high quality food for their feeders. A healthy feeder is best for your herp. Ill animals are catabolic and breaking down protein and so have less nutritional value.

Maybe it might be worth getting your snake on thawed prey and buying it by the bag(s) online.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:09 PM   #8
dave84
I have tried in the past to get them to eat F/T mice and rat pups. I haven't had any success yet. I tried a couple methods, but if it doesn't move... and when I tried to feed it with tongs it seemed like the snake(s) were more worried about me instead of eating. Very picky eaters.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:49 AM   #9
DAND
Then it's time for you to up your rodent production.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:12 AM   #10
Cat_72
I won't feed my guys anything that appears ill, whether I've raised it, or I've run short and had to go buy a few to get me through. I just don't feel comfortable taking ANY chances.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!