Skissor has a new home! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
StinaUIUC
Skissor has a new home!

Well...since I had my first baby hatch in November my roommate has fallen in love! She decided she wanted a leo a REAL bad...lol So I told her I would give her one for her 21st (which was the 13th)...and made her a cage and everything, but because of the roommate problems we've been having most of my geckos have been in someone's office on campus. I finally got a chance to get to her office today to pick up Skissor for the roomie...good timing too, cause it looks like she's about to lay eggs (they said she's been digging for days, and I can see the eggs in her little tummy)! Well she's pretty much all set up in her new home now (although we still have to find a place to plug in her uth...) and seems to be satisfied Here's a couple pics:
the whole set-up...

the trademark leo smile!

The cage took me quite awhile to make....a lot of foil and duct tape was involved........LOL The cage itself is made out of a sterilite bin turned on its side with a sheet of plastic duct-taped to a hole I made in the lid and a nylon screen glued with poster frame edges into a hole I made in one side (which is now the top). The "furniture" is made out of foil covered in duct tape (except the humid hide has a ziplock container thing in it), painted with sand textured acrylic paint and sprayed with matte polyurethane sealer...and then there's the couple fabric plants just to spruce it up! I was trying to go for a very natural look. Anyway...just thought I'd share!

Old 01-27-2005, 02:42 AM   #2
StinaUIUC
Oh btw...the cage is not as small as it looks...it is deeper than it looks in the photos and is larger than a 10 gallon aquarium.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:56 AM   #3
MGReptiles
Hey nice work... I can imagine it took a good amount of time...

Old 01-27-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
VipVenom
I like that cage. I give you props on that set-up. I would have never thought of using foil and duck tape. Very creative and proffesional looking. Good luck with skissor!

Chris Embick

Old 01-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Manhattan Herps
very nice

does she have any trouble climbinbg it? looks kind of smooth

Old 01-27-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
USAGECKOS
Wow, Christina, that is a cool set-up! Wish I was that creative!

Old 01-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
StinaUIUC
Thanks guys!! Dan, no it is not smooth...the paint is textured with sand and the sealer is not thick enough to have smoothed it out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!