About the server move - 04-19-2017 - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #11
Dyscophus antongilii
I am sorry the site migration is such a headache. Your a wonderful person Webslave. We are all behind you!!

Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2017, 02:24 AM   #12
WebSlave
Well, this didn't end well.

The server guys at the new data center were telling me that the problem HAD to be at my old server's data center. Well, what I wanted to know was how could that data center affect the slow downloads I was getting from their server to my home PC sitting on my desk? Both uploads and downloads from their server were from 5 to 10 times SLOWER than what I was able to get out of my old server. Crickets chirping..

They suggested that I could download the migration file from my old server to my home PC, and then upload from there to the new server since the transfer would be faster that way. I did a rough calculation and figured it would take at least 4 days to do that. Assuming the transfer didn't choke up at any time during the process requiring a restart.

Then all the outgoing emails were failing from all the accounts associated with any of my domain names that got migrated to the new server. They said it was a configuration problem on my end. Well, I changed the DNS pointers to point back to my old servers, and guess what? Emails started working again.

I asked them four times about the status of the migration of my CornSnakes.com website and they never answered.

So I gave up. I pointed all the DNS pointers back to the old servers, and now everything is back the way it was before I started the server move. Lost some days in some of my sites that couldn't be locked down, unfortunately. But my choices were limited. I didn't trust the new data center to move my sites BACK to my old servers and not screw something else up for me. So I had no choice but to just bite the bullet and roll back.

Maybe I will try this again some day, but not going to be anytime REAL soon, I'll tell you that.

So anyway, I still have a problem with one of my domain accounts not being able to do emails up or down, but I think the DNS info likely has a mistake in it. And one of my real minor sites is flagging a database problem.

Now I've got to contact that new server hosting company and tell them where they can stick that server and give me a refund.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:27 AM   #13
Helenthereef
... and pay for the Excedrin?
Sorry it was such a pain.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:55 AM   #14
WebSlave
Yeah, this was the absolute WORST server move I have ever experience since I've been doing this crap. And I have seriously been through some doozies over the years.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:59 AM   #15
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So much for picking a company just chock full of nothing but good reviews online.
I wonder if those were fake reviews? With real reviews, like on the BOI, every once in a while a good guy will have an issue,and sometimes people change, but one hopes that a string of good reviews would be a predictor of future behavior.

One would think that if the reviews for this company were real, they would have enough expertise and/or connections with people who do, to get the move done.
I'm sorry you had all those aggravations.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!