frustration - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
alejandro
frustration

was going to buy a panther chameleon tomorow and when i call the guys that was going to seel it to me he told me that he will never sell chameleons again. and a month ago i maked a super big cage and y buy like 100$ in stuff for the cham
and the othere guys that sells chams in puerto rico the police catch him and he can inport reptiles now. the only cham that i can buy is the jackosn, senegal or flapneck and they will die in the tmeperature of puerto rico 90.

Now i will have to buy a bearbed dragon or a gecko :-/

Old 08-18-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
elago
Well,

Dragons and geckos have their place also, they're a LOT easier to care for than chams and don't put quite as many demands on your time. I keep a colony of cresteds, fat tails, and amel fat tail geckos as well as a big adult group of breeder beardies in addition to my cham projects, and they're no less of a joy to have around the house. Some other warm chameleon projects you might consider are melleri, Oustalet's, spiny, desert side stripe, or veiled chameleons which all love the heat (even temps to 110 for short periods of time), but a Jackson's just wouldn't make it with temps that high in the long run. Good luck in figuring out your options and purchasing your pet. -Eric Lago *MS Reptilian Hobbyists*
http://msreptilianhobbyists.fabpage.com

Old 08-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
alejandro
how much insects eat a barded dragon?

Old 08-19-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
elago
Depends

On the age of the animal. Young beardeds you can't feed enough, the adults usually run on between 10-15 adult crickets a day + handfuls of greens. -Eric

Old 08-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
mymenagerie_2004
I have Melleri, Giant Spiny, and Oustalets here in Southern California. For Puerto Rico I would recommend either the Oustalets, or Giant Spiny. They prefer temps in the 90's to low 100's even. Melleri's top basking temp would be 90 to 95 degrees, they prefer their ambient temp to be in the high seventies to mid eighties. Jacksons will not go above 85 without a constant mist to cool them. They are found running around along our coast where there is alot of fog, or morning marine layer, along with sea breezes when the sun is shining.

Also Melleri need alot of water every day, where as the Giant, and Oustalet's are content with a nice hydrating shower/mist every 2 days.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:42 PM   #6
kokopelli
Looking at it another way

I think what he is saying is that where he is in Puerto Rico the only Chams he can get are imports. The 90 degree temps are way to hot for Jacksons and the imported Senegals and Flapnecks almost always die.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!