Hey! Need Your Advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
AgirlWithaDream
Question Hey! Need Your Advice

Hey! thank u for reading this. My boyfriend is just now getting into reptiles because ive had several. He has this idea that he wants to get this really big aquarium and have a water side and a land side. He wants to put different reptiles in it...frogs,hermit crabs,lizards. Since ive had lizards I know putting all those things together proabably isnt possible lol. I wanted to know though is there ANY reptile that can be housed with a different kind . Ive seen water dragons,frogs, and chamelians together. That was at a petstore so I didnt want to go off that..knowing pet stores usually do the complete wrong things where I live. Also wondering if you can put hermit crabs in a aquarium with other lizards? on the water side of the tank my boyfriend wants to put some small fish in there. I used to know someone with a water dragon who had a land and water side and it worked very well. I just wanted to get ur opinion on all of this! any advice would be really appreciated and if you house ur lizards with other lizards id love to know about ur experience. Thanks !

Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
whitey4311
Standing water with a cham is a no no. It will drown if it falls in the water side. Other reptiles with a cham seems like too much stress for him and that will cause health issues. But regardless you can not have standign water near your cham it will at one point fall in and drown, they are not very smart. I would just make a killer cham set up with some live flowers and such like hibiscus ect. Find a list of what plants are safe and go from there but no other animals with the sham is my advice. My vield cham runs free in the house and goes back to hiss wall less cage at will. When he does this our pug checks him out and sniffs him but is more scared of the cham then the cham is of him. It is pretty funny to watch, but too often and as a permanent situation is too stressful. On the flip side your other reptlie pets most likely will try to attack him or vise versa. It really becomes a flip of the coin since all chams react differently to conditions you have them in. Some hate to be touched and some people report that their cham seems to love being touched. Its a hit or miss at that point but your idea seems like big trouble.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
AgirlWithaDream
Thank you for ur reply! I appreciate it. The more advice I get the more I will be able to show my bf so he will know for sure if this idea is bad or not. That is cool u have a Chameleon. I have a bearded dragon and Leopard Gecko. My dog ,like ur pug, is always going up to my bearded dragon and sniffing it. It really is funny!!!! Its cool animals like that can get along. Are cham hard pets to keep compared to bearded dragons? Do you know whether Basilisks and water dragons can be housed together? People have told me this can be done. Also that it is possible to put fish in the water side of the auarium or some kind of shrimp. If you or anyone else has info on this and wouldlike to give me more advice id really appreciate it!

Old 03-31-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
whitey4311
There is a place here in california called tribal reptiles that makes some really cool set ups like the ones that you are interested in. It would be easy to make yourself but he gives some good ideas. I am not sur about other reptiles other than chams but for last 4 years I have been studying chams and know quite a bit.
Any how I saw a set up with all glass aquarium that was divided in several spots
One area was about 4-5 inches deep with some cichlid fish that are really pretty and then the land area had a water fall/pump system to pump water from the fish area to the water fall and back again, basically to circulate the water. I imagine you would want some sort of filter as well so the water does not get nasty. Then he put very high quality fake plants ect that look very very real for decor. He had some grape vine logs going across the water for the water dragons or balisks, not sure what they were. This way there was a lot to look at. You could even get one of those ultrasonic foggers to make it look like a rain forest habitat and place it in the fish water area. This would eliminate the need for a mister as it will dispense a fine mist in the habitat to collect on the leaves for the reptiles to drink from.
Another really cool idea was a double aquairum set up. There is a pair of tanks that are stackable. The bottom is obviously closed on all ends but the top and the top piece is closed on just the sides and not the top or bottom. The entire bottom area could be all fish with again a grape vine piece spanding across the water just close enough for reach should the water dragon adventure to the water area. This way he could get back up to the top area. SO the bottom set up is a reg fish aquarium with a regular pump and decor ect. The top would be all reptile habitat but the cool thing is that the water dragons like to run across the water and this way you have your all in one set up. Just get a good quality light for the reptiles and they will be healthy.
Be creative and have fun.
Ps i personally think chams are more fun to watch and care for. Those balsisks and water dragons will be gone should one ever get loose. You will not catch it and that is no joke. Think about this, they run across water fast enough to stay on the top of it! Once loose its time for another one.
Chams are very pretty and gracefull, you can at least handel it from time to time and enjoy watching it. They are just more interesting in my opinion than other reptiles that you are looking at.

I'll have some killer pics this weekend of my new set up that I built all by hand.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
kaykay
ya chams are awsome but are a lot harder to keep than beardies(not that i have ever had a beady, only a cham) also chams are very unsocial when it comes to other reptiles. but i really that idea of all the reptiles and stuff. it would be awsome if that could work but finding reptiles that can live together could be dfficult. actualy a cool if you wanted to get some rainforest reptiles is to get a bunch of stackable cages and have each cage be one layer of the rainforest. like you could have the bottom be water with your fish and frogs, then have the next one be a big cage for a cham or something. sry if that was confusing im just putting out some ideas that you could maybe work with. if you do get a cham tho make sure you do your research. good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!