Pre prepared foods? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Jake The Snake
Pre prepared foods?

I was just wondering is anyone has had success with preprepared foods for beardies. Since baby beardies eat so many insects, I figured that one of the preprepared products would be more convenient until they get bigger and can eat the roaches I keep. Its just too damn hard catching 30-50 young roaches and going to the pet store even a few times a week is a HUGE hassle. I could easily do insects 2-3 times a week but not every day.
Any experience appreciated

Old 02-18-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
mightymo
What kind of roaches do you breed? With lateralis it is easier when you put the egg casings in another container so you only have small roaches in the bin when they hatch.

I tried monster bearded diet from petsmart and the katy brand with no luck. My beardie won't touch them or eat anything that has.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Bar None Reptiles
You can't cut out insects on a growing baby, they need the protein especially. But if you want to supplement with prepared foods repcal pellets soaked in water for a good 5-10 minutes along with the veggies gets mine eating in 1-2 weeks from hatching. I just put the veggies in a food processor and make it super fine, toss some pellets on top and some veggie growth and they go nuts for this! It's funny watching a hatchling jump up and attack the dish trying to get to it before the others.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Cat_72
Why not just order a bulk lot of crickets online? They are easy to keep.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Why not just order a bulk lot of crickets online? They are easy to keep.
I did that before and was finding crickets throughout the house for months later.

I do breed the lateralis so maybe putting the egg casings in a deli cup would be a good idea. I got a buddy that has some beardies hatching out in a couple months and I'm almost positive I'll be taking a couple of them. Also, are freshly molted mealies ok for youngins?

Old 02-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Dragonstar
The prepared pellets are okay for adding variety to a dragon's diet but they don't replace the live bugs that growing dragons need.

I've only heard negative things about mealies for small dragons mostly due to their shell and the difficulty that small dragons have in digesting them. I'm not sure about freshly molted mealies since those should be softer though.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Jake The Snake
Maybe even some freeze dried mealies in a the salad would be ok. I could always get started on seperating the egg casings to get started and see how that works.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Jake The Snake
Also, how long would you say before a beardie could take a full grown Lateralis or cricket?

Old 02-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Cat_72
Baby dragons have a difficult time digesting mealies, freeze dried or not.

As long as you have a tall Rubbermaid or such with smooth sides that the crickets cannot climb out of, there should be no reason that you would be finding them all over the house, lol.

The general rule of thumb with insects is that the food item should be no larger than the space between their eyes. Different animals grow at different rates, so it's hard to put a time frame on it, but they would have to be pretty close to adult size to eat adult crix.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Jake The Snake
I think I'll just try and boost the roach colony for a couple months and hope I have enough feeders to feed a couple babies. If you put the dead insects in the vibrator(lol) dish, will beardies go for them?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!