What causes bites? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: How did your closest call or bite happen?
Cage or container too small for the snake 11 15.94%
Wrong tool for the job 10 14.49%
Took a careless shortcut 24 34.78%
Distracted, was doing more than one thing 23 33.33%
Bad mental/emotional condition 8 11.59%
Drugs or alcohol (any kind of medicine) 12 17.39%
Showing off for an audience 14 20.29%
Freehandling 12 17.39%
Freak accident, not preventable 14 20.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #31
Snakes Incorporated
Complacency is the biggest enemy. I get like that every so often.

Took a careless shortcut and was granted a 7 day ICU stay.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #32
Common King Lover
How about inexperience at catching/handling? Being 16 at the time field hunting in S Cal, I came across a C.v. helleri laying at rest. Awe stuck at my find I pinned it's head down with my hook, reached down with my right hand and picked it up behind the head. Little did I know the strenght and flexability of these snakes as it turned it's head and opened it's mouth getting it's fangs with in reach of my thumb. Droped it , jumped back and started shaking at my too close of a bad incounter. Inexperience can be a fatal move, one of the things that scares me when I see newbies asking about owning hots!

Scott

Old 11-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #33
christophermchale
i agree totally.

although im not very old and have not been keeping hots as long as a lot of people on here, i get naseous sometimes when i think of some of the things that i used to do when i was younger and more stupid.

i should have been bit numerous times.

its been pure luck that i havent.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:28 PM   #34
christophermchale
i always thought that 99% of the time youll never get bit unless you do something stupid...or step on one in the field.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #35
MiqeMorbid
I think that alcohol and / or other drugs being involved in many bites too..

Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #36
Uroboros
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakegetters
My guess is that a lot of snake bites are probably proceeded by words to the effect of, "Hey, y'all watch this" or "I bet I could do that." Most common victim profile in North America is a young male in his early 20's, intoxicated.
Ha! The three most dangerous words in aviation: "Check this out!"

(No hots for me right now) BUT, the only times I have been bitten I was doing something I already knew I shouldn't and trying to save time by bending the rules.

I'm keeping emeralds now (the ones with the really big teeth) and my hook is my best friend.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #37
atwageman
Complacency (laziness) and allowing yourself to get distracted are reasons I would think folks would get bit.

I came close one time to taking a hit. It was a spazztic neonate southern copperhead of all things. Needless to say when I finally got his head pinned, we had a talk.

Almost forgot to add...my crotalus atrox the other week thought he was a spitting cobra. Good thing I was already wearing safety glasses. I had 2 drops of venom. 1 on my cheek and one on my chin.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!