Non-native species? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
WebSlave
Non-native species?

This topic is being discussed in another thread, so I figured I would try to clear up some confusion in my own mind about the term "non-native".

What exactly defines an organism as being "non-native"? Physical boundaries being crossed intentionally or accidentally? Human hands must be involved? Or can any other organism that introduces another organism to some place it has never lived before play too? Is there some time limit as to when any "natural" form (whatever that might be) of migration of a species has to have already taken place before the door that considers them as being "native" is shut?

Seriously, this has always puzzled me. Sort of like the designation of "locality" animals. Are there any definitions that are not just arbitrary in nature, and push come to shove, a definition made up by a species that is itself non-native in most of the habitat it is now found in?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
snowgyre
Nonnative has a variety of definitions. In general, the definition that wildlife biologists use is synonymous with exotic, e.g. a species that was either accidentally or intentionally introduced by humans to a novel area and/or environment. Nonnative by itself does not necessarily equate to bad, as many of our crops and domesticated animals are, by definition, nonnative.

In contrast, animals and plants that have undergone natural expansions into novel areas and/or habitats are generally managed as natives, unless those expansions were facilitated by human development. For example, cattle egrets got here by themselves all the way from Africa and are a recent addition to North American fauna (in the last 50 years).

Examples of nonnative species include woodchucks, coyotes, and armadillos. All have expanded into the southeastern United States due to anthropomorphic changes in habitat and/or social dynamics which allowed their establishment into new areas. Woodchucks utilized road corridors and other rights-of-way to expand into the Southeast and rarely occur outside these habitats. Armadillos are weird and I don't know their history. Historically, red wolves prevented coyotes from expanding into the Southeast, but with the human-led extirpation (and functional extinction from the wild) of the red wolf, coyotes expanded into an area that was vacant of a large canid carnivore. This has led to some challenges with white-tailed deer, wild turkey, and northern bobwhite management, so the coyote is considered (by some, mainly those in game management) as a nonnative predator.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:21 AM   #3
LauraB
Excellent post/explanation, Vanessa.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
Excellent post/explanation, Vanessa.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
TheHonestPirate1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
This topic is being discussed in another thread, so I figured I would try to clear up some confusion in my own mind about the term "non-native".

What exactly defines an organism as being "non-native"? Physical boundaries being crossed intentionally or accidentally? Human hands must be involved? Or can any other organism that introduces another organism to some place it has never lived before play too? Is there some time limit as to when any "natural" form (whatever that might be) of migration of a species has to have already taken place before the door that considers them as being "native" is shut?

Seriously, this has always puzzled me. Sort of like the designation of "locality" animals. Are there any definitions that are not just arbitrary in nature, and push come to shove, a definition made up by a species that is itself non-native in most of the habitat it is now found in?
Hello snark.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestPirate1 View Post
Hello snark.

Are you using this comment to refer to an imaginary animal, or what?

Old 01-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
NIGRO51
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestPirate1 View Post
Hello snark.

There must be something that I am missing here..

Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 AM   #8
LauraB
LOL, it's nothing more than a snarky comment from a snarky user with a dubious rep. Not even clever.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:27 AM   #9
WebSlave
Beats me.. Maybe I have an unknown admirer or something. Probably "or something"......

Old 01-21-2016, 03:23 AM   #10
Lucille
When I first read the comment I too thought it was just a mean spirited comment. Then, I looked up the word 'snark' and one of the meanings is 'imaginary animal'. So it is possible that this poster is agreeing that a 'locality' or 'non-native' animal may be an imaginary distinction in some cases.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!