What do you get from Trip Het Breedings(Hypos het for Albino & Anery) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2003, 03:00 PM   #1
Dan Bifield
What do you get from Trip Het Breedings(Hypos het for Albino & Anery)

Someone please break down what one should get out of 16 offspring when breeding Triple Hets( Hypos Het for Albino & Anery) together.

Please do break down in laymans terms like:
These boas when bred to each other will produce, on the average, 25%ghost, 25% albino boas, and 50%????

Old 10-15-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
Seamus Haley
Well...

Thing here is... You're crossing two different genetic abnormalities that affect the same pigment cell... Both albinism and hypomelanism are related to melanin production.

From the way you wrote it, it sounds like the parent animals are both homozygous for hypomelanism, meaning every neonate produced should be hypomelanistic UNLESS the zygote also ends up being albino... Since both traits interrupt the same pigment, you may produce albinos which are also hypos, but because no melanin visually cancels out less melanin, the hypo trait won't be visible (overwhelmed by a visually stronger trait).

Since every neonate is hypomelanistic anyway, you can make a punnet the same way you would a double het crossing. Just keep in mind that anything which would otherwise appear normal will be hypo, anything which would be full albino (for the melanin) will be full albino (but still homozygous for hypomelanism, which needs to be stated when selling the animals for any breeding projects), anything which would appear anery would be the "ghost" color (reduced melanin, no red). Snows are snows but, like the albinos, it must be kept in mind that they are ALSO hypomelanistic genotypically, even if they aren't phenotypically.

I'm going to try and attach an image of a double het cross punnet... hope it works.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2003, 04:34 PM   #3
Seamus Haley
Little big, but it seems to have worked...

Using that punnet to look just at the two traits which the animals are heterozygous for, rather than homozygous and assuming hypomelanism as a given...

And keeping in mind that the percentages listed represent the individual chances for each zygote, not an absolute on what the breakdown of neonates would be...

Call A "normal" (in this example just hypo) melanin
Call a Albino.

Call X normal erythin
Call x Anery

AAXX would be hypos, het for nothing- a one in sixteen chance.

AAXx would be hypos, het for anery- a one in eight chance

AaXX would be hypos, het for albinism- a one in eight chance

AaXx would be hypos, het for albinism, het for anery- a one in four chance

AAxx would be hypo and anery- "Ghost"- a one in sixteen chance

Aaxx would be hypo and anery, het for albinism "Ghost het for
albino"- a one in eight chance

aaXX would be hypo and albino, visually this will just be albino- a one in sixteen chance

aaXx would be hypo and albino, het for anery- a one in eight chance

aaxx would be hypo, albino and anery. A snow that carries hypo genes- a one in sixteen chance

Now the fun part...

Since hets can't be identified visually when the trait is not apparant and you do have the potential to produce possible hets for either albinism, anerythism or both in each animal not displaying the traits, you need to determine what each morph is visually, then the chances that it's het for either one trait or the other.

For instance, any animal which looks like just a hypo (A nine in sixteen chance for each zygote) is 44% possible double het, 22% possible het albino and 22% possible het anery... Repeat with each genotypical possibility for a given phenotype.

Old 10-15-2003, 04:44 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
Seeing that Clay is writing a reply... Here's hoping my math (done in my head while home sick from work mind you) isn't mutilated. Someone will correct it if it was.

And a bit of a question...

Has an axanthic gene been identified and isolated in Boa constrictors? I'd really like to see some snow boas that don't turn urine yellow with age... I don't like morphs much, but if you're going to create one, at least create one properly.

Old 10-15-2003, 04:44 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
The albinos produced would actually be sunglows, a combination of albinism and hypomelanism. Combining the two traits creates a third phenotype.
The hypos produced would be a variety of hypo het for ghost, het for sunglow, double het for snow, and plain hypo, but you would have no way of telling them apart.
From a purely statistical standpoint, there would be 9 hypos produced out of 16 neonates, and only one of these would be het for neither trait (AAXX).
The full breakdown of the 9 hypos would be
1 Hypo
2 Hypo het sunglow
2 Hypo get ghost
4 Hypo double het snow
By my reckoning that would mean that all the hypos would be 50% double het for snow.
We all know how statistics go though when referring to a single litter.

Old 10-15-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
The albinos produced would actually be sunglows, a combination of albinism and hypomelanism. Combining the two traits creates a third phenotype.
Good to know... I'll have to poke around and look into the subject to see what the phenotype is, just for my own edification.

I said 44% possible het for snow (double het) by using the nine hypo appearances that would be produced (On paper anyway, Mendel always was a bit *too* accurate in his "results"), and four of these being double het... Rounded off the nine to say each possible animal represented 11% of the hypos produced and stuck it at 44% (rather than 44.444% repeating decimal).

Old 10-15-2003, 04:53 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
You made that post while I was replying but glad one of us is precise. Inaccurate as it may be, I believe everyone just calls them 50% anyway. What's 5.6% among friends?

Old 12-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
vemon2000
Try this

I came up with this.

1 hypo
2 hypo het ghost
2 hypo het sunglow
4 hypo het albino het anery(aka het moonglow)

1 ghost
2 ghost het albino(aka het moonglow)

1 sunglow
2 sunglow het anery(aka het moonglow)

1 moonglow

triple hets are the key to moonglows

Old 12-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
Donnie Smith
Our good buddy the Advanced Genetcs wizard at geneticswizard.com came up with this:

1.5625% WT
3.125% Het. anery,
1.5625% Homozygous anery,
3.125% Het. albino,
6.25% Het. albino, Het. anery,
3.125% Het. albino, Homozygous anery,
1.5625% Homozygous albino,
3.125% Homozygous albino, Het. anery,
1.5625% Homozygous albino, Homozygous anery,
3.125% Het. hypo,
6.25% Het. hypo, Het. anery,
3.125% Het. hypo, Homozygous anery,
6.25% Het. hypo, Het. albino,
12.5% Het. hypo, Het. albino, Het. anery,
6.25% Het. hypo, Het. albino, Homozygous anery,
3.125% Het. hypo, Homozygous albino,
6.25% Het. hypo, Homozygous albino, Het. anery,
3.125% Het. hypo, Homozygous albino, Homozygous anery,
1.5625% Homozygous hypo,
3.125% Homozygous hypo, Het. anery,
1.5625% Homozygous hypo, Homozygous anery,
3.125% Homozygous hypo, Het. albino,
6.25% Homozygous hypo, Het. albino, Het. anery,
3.125% Homozygous hypo, Het. albino, Homozygous anery,
1.5625% Homozygous hypo, Homozygous albino,
3.125% Homozygous hypo, Homozygous albino, Het. anery,
1.5625% Homozygous hypo, Homozygous albino, Homozygous anery,

(remember... hypo is co-dom, so Het for Hypo is a hypo... Homozygous hypo is super.)

Isn't that special.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!