Crested Gecko Classified sub-forum - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
yogie2
Crested Gecko Classified sub-forum

I know this was brought up a few years ago, but I think it needs to be re-visited. At the time of writing this, 18/25 of the first page Gecko classifieds are for crested geckos. Am I alone in thinking they could use a dedicated sub-forum?

Old 10-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Zooparker
I agree, there are far to many crested gecko ads. The first page alone had well over 15 total cresty ads. I like crested geckos as much as the next person, but i'd like to see a forum dedicated to only crested geckos and possibly other heavily bred Rhacodactylid geckos. Just my two cents.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
WebSlave
So, how many people will be willing to become sponsors for this requested addition?

Old 10-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
Inret
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So, how many people will be willing to become sponsors for this requested addition?
No thank you

Old 10-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #5
markpulawski
Maybe transform one of the other lizard sub categories into a Crested Gecko one, something not as popular these days. There are a few with ads from September still on the front page...of course the remaining geckos may turn the gecko forum onto that if Cresties are removed from it but it seems Crested ads sure have enough volume to fill a sub forum.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
WebSlave
So if I am reading this correctly, the hoped for result would be that the Geckos Classifieds would then be basically gutted and the current traffic there would then mostly move to a Crested Geckos Classifieds section? If anything some current sponsors in the Geckos Classifieds might want to transfer their sponsorship to the new Crested Geckos Classifieds, as no one has been forthcoming here saying they would sponsor that new section.

So what the heck would this site gain by me doing the work of creating that new section and then moving the relevant ads from the Geckos Classifieds to the Crested Gecko Classifieds? If it's just a zero sum CHANGE instead of an improvement, I sure don't see any pressing reason to make a change just for the sake of change. Sure as heck I will get SOMEBODY complaining about any change I make here, so I really want it to be a worthwhile change.

Sorry, if it is just because a few people may feel inconvenienced that they may have to wade through some crested gecko ads that they aren't interested in seeing, that really isn't a very compelling reason. Next thing you know people will want me to start breaking down the Ball Python Classifieds into various morph subsections........

Old 10-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
markpulawski
I wasn't saying it for convenience, I just figured the most popular animals would be the ones with a dedicated sub forum, and make it easier for those looking. Sorry to have offered what I thought was something constructive.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpulawski View Post
I wasn't saying it for convenience, I just figured the most popular animals would be the ones with a dedicated sub forum, and make it easier for those looking. Sorry to have offered what I thought was something constructive.
Sorry that you have apparently been offended by my reply. Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much when I envision what such a change will really entail and the probable results thereof. I'm just trying to understand the pressing "why" of a change being suggested, and so far I just don't see it. Just because there is a larger subset of a particular type of gecko being advertised isn't quite justification for a separate section for them. Now if crested geckos get to the level where there are a few PAGES of ads placed in a single day, then perhaps we can have something to work with. As an example, this is why the ball pythons are not just folded into the Pythons Classifieds section. They have the traffic to warrant their own section. I'll be quite honest about it, if it weren't for the fact that the leopard gecko section has a good number of sponsors supporting it, I would probably just fold that one into the general Geckos Classifieds section as well.

I asked specifically about sponsors for this newly suggested section to try to get a gauge of how supported it will be with sponsorships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inret View Post
No thank you
With no forthcoming contrary support, I have to assume that this is the general consensus about my question.

And as a FYI, unless the lizard and snake discussion forums pick up either with postings and/or sponsorships, they will ALL quite likely get folded into a General Lizard Discussion Forum and General Snake Discussion Forum sometime in the near future. I can't see having those separated sections if each of them only gets a couple of posts PER MONTH and aren't supported by sponsors.

So use them or lose them, as they say. Traffic has been slowing down here, so it is getting time to contract some things into a more reasonable structure that reflects the current traffic volume.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #9
markpulawski
Traffic is slow everywhere these days animal wise, it's a buyers market, to me sales and discussion go hand in hand, I could barely give a day gecko away in the last couple of months, darts are the same way...for nearly everyone. Hopefully things bounce back for some of these categories by spring time, business as usual would be nice but no doubt for many of us the economy is teetering.
With the search function sub forums are really not necessary at all but if they provide revenue to help run the site more power to them. I am sure even minor changes are lot more complicated than most of us realize and to me it's no big deal one way or the other....if I like it I visit and if I don't I won't.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Inret
Having support for something doesn't mean multiple people shelling out $50 in irl money each just for someone to create a subforum, man. People just don't want to pay for a thing like that. That doesn't mean they don't support that it's needful. They just don't want to pay $$++ for a few clicks and 0 server impact difference. I realize you guys have hosting fees, but you're going to have them for crested gecko ads regardless of where they land on the forum.

You're probably going to respond to this harshly, or even rudely, as that's the only sort of response I've ever gotten from the moderation team here (which is why I don't spend my money sponsoring the site). I understand that you want sponsors, and that's fine and dandy because it's your site. But refusing to see why multiple people wouldn't want to spend literally hundreds of dollars (that was the figure you presented last time) for something so miniscule, and demanding they pay up or they can't have a thing several people have requested over (now) a spanse of years, just doesn't feel right to me. It has support. It doesn't have fiscal support and in 2015 I have no idea why the creation of a forum, on a forum, would need it.