what do marbled salamanders eat? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #1
sturgeon565
what do marbled salamanders eat?

We are the new owners of a marbled salamander - bought him 5 days ago. We've read they eat small worms, slugs, centipedes and other small critters you'd find under a rock or log, but he's not eaten any of it. I put him in a small container and let him "hunt" them for about 20 minutes, but finally gave up and put him back in his tank. Advice?

Old 07-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
Likely pulling it out to feed is stressful. I'd feed in the vivarium. They really don't appreciate being handled.

I'd let it settle in for a little while longer without pestering it. Also be sure the housing is up to snuff: lots of hides and leaves, nice and cool (below room temp is best) and moist.

Small worms (wild-caught, not purchased redworms) are usually taken easily, as well as mealworms, crickets, waxworms, small hornworms. Likely the issue is stress, though; once it gets comfortable enough to start feeding, it should eat almost anything (not likely centipedes or slugs, though). Checking to see what the previous owner was feeding it might be helpful as well.

There is a glut of crappy animal care articles on the web these days, so here is a decent one:

https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/A...A_opacum.shtml

Old 07-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
sturgeon565
that's very, very helpful - thanks so much!!

Old 08-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
sturgeon565
thank you!

I have been trying very small moving worms and slugs and small crickets. So far he's still not interested :-(

Old 08-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon565 View Post
I have been trying very small moving worms and slugs and small crickets. So far he's still not interested :-(
If you posted a photo of the salamander and the viv, perhaps someone could figure out if anything is amiss.

Have you contacted the seller for advice?

Reptile Rapture sells this species occasionally; when you go there to get your crickets (I hope that's who you're supporting....) they might give you some helpful advice on getting yours started.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
sturgeon565
I will take some photos and post, thanks.

I did ask the seller who said he ate small worms and crickets just fine. My only thought is he's still shaken up from the FedEx trip. But that was a week ago now... I've tried covering his 10 gallon tank with a towel so its dark and peaceful.

He is moving around and gets to his water dish so he is drinking which is good.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #7
Socratic Monologue
I wouldn't get too worried. They can go a long time without food, if they are otherwise healthy, though not as long if they are kept too warm (AC was running the last week, right?) and have good body conformation (one reason for pics). It is just good to get on top of things early.

I was hoping the seller might have provided details (tong feeding, food left overnight, whatever), though I suppose that might be a lot to ask from someone who just moves random WC animals. Too bad these guys aren't really available CB -- neat little animals.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #8
sturgeon565
That's a relief.

We live up north so no need for AC (it never got above 80). The room he's in stays in the 70's.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon565 View Post
That's a relief.

We live up north so no need for AC (it never got above 80). The room he's in stays in the 70's.
I live an hour's drive north of you.

It has been hot lately, and 80F is pushing it, IME. Hopefully with these cooler temps this week he can get a little more comfy. Dropping temps down into the low 60s at night (and lower in the winter) is good for them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!