Red Tail - Feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-27-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
IvoryExotics
Red Tail - Feeding

lately i can only be getting my female to eat about once every 3 weeks, shes not losing weight and is very active. is there something wrong? will this affect her growth? sorry bad pic
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Have there been any changes in her environment (mainly temperature)? Have you checked her mouth for any signs of stomatitis (mouth rot)?

Regards.

Old 02-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #3
IvoryExotics
no changes and no signs of mouth rot.

Old 02-27-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
If she is eating an adequate size meal every three week I wouldn't be that much concerned. Just try to rule out any other medical conditions to make sure she is perfectly healthy.

Regards.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:11 AM   #5
Mike Greathouse
Brittany,
How old and how big is your female?
What do you mean by lately? Has this been going on for six weeks, six months, etc... Obviously something has changed as you have noticed a difference and are concerned enough about it ask.

Provide as much information as possible and I'm sure everyone here can at the very least, help you to understand what is happening.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
IvoryExotics
shes pretty young, i got her in october. when i got her she was eating fine then as soon as it hit december it was every three weeks. i heard some snakes dont eat much in the winter, could that be it? she doent seem distressed, she is active and keeping weight. for right now it is just curiosity, but i dont want to risk something more serious happening because i ignored some warning sign.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:39 PM   #7
The BoidSmith
Have you been checking the temperature of her enclosure since you received her? Any changes in yje overall temperature in your house? What type of an enclosure is she in?

Thanks.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:09 PM   #8
IvoryExotics
i have thermometers in her cage, the temp ranges from mid to high 70's at night with low to mid 80's during the day. she is in a tank that is one and a half times her size long and the depth is equal to her length. there is a water dish she can completly submerge in, a hidway and branches.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:27 AM   #9
Munkyboy
I'd bump those temps up a few degrees. She may be having problems with proper digestion at those temps. 88-89f on the warm side with an ambient temperature of about 80-82 degrees has worked out great for me. You could let this drop off a few degrees at night, but anything lower than the mid to high 70's is a bit risky in my opinion.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
The BoidSmith
My boas have a warmer area in their enclosure that's at 90 degrees. In my case the heating element (flex-watt) is placed on the top of the enclosure, thus the temperature is coming from above. There is a shelf that allows the boa to lay in the warmer part of the enclosure or go down to a cooler spot (around 80 degrees) in the bottom.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!