Breeding Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-25-2015, 02:10 AM   #1
NatureBoxPetEmporium
Breeding Questions

Sorry in advanced because this may involve some stupid questions but i really could use some advice. So i've been doing research on breeding my Carpet Pythons. I know i have to brumate them but i wanted so other tips and tricks to help with the process. But i've also seen like Jungle x Diamond pythons or jungle x green tree pythons. but i was curious where that cross breeding stops. I'm really interested in blood pythons and was curious if anyone knew if that was possible? (again sorry if that's a blatantly stupid question) any help and advice on what i could do or where the cross breeding stops would be awesome. Thank you!

Old 08-25-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Utta
Hybridization is a rather hot topic. You will have people that are firey on both sides of the debate. So beware of some possible backlash when talking about it.

As far as your question, normally it's within the same genius. GTP's are Morelia viridis, while Carpet Pythons are Morelia spilota, and Diamond Pythons are Morelia spilota spilota. Notice how they are all under the Morelia genius? That's generally the easier way to make crosses and hybrids.

HOWEVER... There are carpet python X ball python hybrids. And I believe Burmese X carpet hybrids. But I don't think blood X carpet has been successful.

http://www.hybridherps.com/forum/index.php?topic=24.0 here is a list. Don't know how up to date it is though.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
NatureBoxPetEmporium
Okay that makes since, I noticed the genus being the same in most of those, but like you pointed out there have been ball and Burmese hybrids as well. That's where my question sprouted from as I figured most genus could be successfully crossed. Thank you also for the warning, I'm prepared for it lol ive seen some fiesty people. Do you have any breeding tips and tricks for a nooby?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!